dramatic cut in hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

brocktherock68

I was working usually 35 hours a week at the United Dairy Farmers gas station in Circleville, Ohio and thought I was doing a great job. My store manager said hours for everyone would shorten just a little because of winter time. Next thing you know someone new gets hired and adds about 30 hours onto the total schedule. There was never an explanation to why the new employee was hired but it didn't concern me at the time. I work with the store manager one night, giving extra effort because of who I'm working with and when we are done she talks to me about five minutes starting off saying "Brock you were extremelly slow tonight". Ha what a shock to me after working my butt off. She then goes on to tell me how hours for the store need to be cut some because of winter time, totally contradicting the fact she hired another person three weeks beforehand. She tells me my job performance is poor and all this other untrue crap to my face. My wage is only 6.75 an hour and i defenitely work at a higher level. She then went on to tell at least the first assistant manager and an assistant manager the lies trying to plant seeds of untruth in their heads. One manager agreed with me that she was completely wrong about me and the other manager mostly kept her opinion to herself. I just saw the schedule for next week and I only have 13 hours!!!!!!!!! The new girl has 35!! Also the new girl is a family friend of the store manager's. Experience wise she has no reason to take over my job like that. Also, we had an employee quit right at the end of October, but realised he made a bad choice and asked for his job back and got it back imediately. The new girl was hired right after he came back. So maybe my store manager was stuck promising her a job because one person quit and then felt bad and at the same time gave him his job back. Our store has a limit on total hours worked so that left somebody having to go or be cut down. Basically what I am trying to say is that I feel like my store manager is doing something like "setting me up" or "framing me" by making up a reason (calling me slow) to lower my hours down to 13, which in turn she knows i will have to get another job, and when i leave nobody new will replace me, proving she wanted to get rid of me. I want to know if there is any legal action I can take if my manager truelly planned to get rid of me to allow work for her friend. If there isn't a way, could someone suggest something I could do if the circumstances were different because maybe the circumstances you name, be what i find out is the truth of the situation.

What is your legal question for us?

I am not sure you have much recourse but this is probably a very small company correct? They possibly might be a franchise so they really may not fall into any particular category.

My suggestion is to find another job and quit ASAP. Sorry.

Unless you have a bona fide contract or CBA that guarantees you a particular number of hours, you can be scheduled for as many or as few hours as the employer chooses. If she wants your job for her friend, that is unfortunate but legal.

Depending on your state law, you MIGHT qualify for partial unemployment benefits for the weeks in which your hours are so drastically cut. But your best option is as Duranie suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back