Sue ex-wife for son's medical expenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franart24

My ex-wife filled a lawsuit against a school district on behalf of our son who at the time was 12. After about 3 years, the school district settled the lawsuit and put into trust a sum of money for my son. My ex-wife did not involve me in the preceedings, so what I heard was from my son. Of recent, I was at the county building and out of curiosity pulled the file. As it turns out, she too received $10,000 for education and medical expenses, but told no one. As part of our divorce agreement, I pay all medical expenses. In respect to the lawsuit, I paid out of pocket $3000 for my son's doctor and medical expenses. I have all the checks and receipts. She made testimony in this lawsuit that SHE paid these medical expenses. Can I sue her in small claims court to recover the medical expenses?

I don't think my son would be affected. He was disappointed when I showed him the settlement documents to find out about the $10k, because when he turned 18 and could have the money, his mother had her hand out looking for reimbursement again for education and medical expenses she claimed to have paid. He gave her over $17,000 out of guilt. When all was said and done, she had collected a lot more on his lawsuit than he did. This is someone who has lived off the children's child support for the past 12 years with every excuse not to get a job. My son has since moved in with me and is now 19. I'm also wondering what the NYS statue of limitations is on this and would I have to get a copy of the cancelled check from the school district or would the settlement documents due? Thanks for any adivse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back