Consumer Law, Warranties Movie ticket surcharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverrat

I live in NJ but sometimes go to the movies in NY. Last year I purchased several dozen discount movie tickets for Loews theaters. AMC Corp. took over Loews and now the AMC theater on 34th St. in NYC wants to charge me a $1 surcharge for using these tickets. Some discount tickets have a $1 surcharge. It is printed on the ticket. The ones I have don't have a surcharge. It is not a misprint or error, that's the way these tickets are supposed to be.

When I go the theater they ask for the dollar. I refuse to pay it. They call a manager. The manager says it's a different company, it's company policy... I say I'm not paying the surcharge. They say you can't see the movie. I say I'm going in and see the movie anyway. They say okay you don't have to pay the surcharge this time but from now on you must pay it. I say it's never going to happen...

I know I can file complaints with the BBB, Consumer Affairs, Attorney General, etc. That will take months to get a resolution. I don't want to have to argue every time I go to this theater. I know that I don't have to pay the surcharge. My question is, are they breaking any law by trying to collect it and what can I do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back