I want to break the lease (move out) my roomate (co-singer) does NOT! What can I do?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

camlynn

I signed a one-year (home) lease agreement with a girlfriend in February. I suppose I made a big mistake.-- It is only June now, and I want to move out. Nothing terrible has happend, I just do not wish to live in that location or with that person any longer! She does not want to move and claims she can sue me for my half of the rent, for the remainder of the lease contract. Of cousre, I can not afford to pay 2 rents for the next 7 months. What can I do?! How do I settle this? Please advise!!!!!!
Thank you

Ps. she has a child living in the home as well and pays a small amount more than I do, but not 2:1 - Am I only resposible for 1/3?

If you move out, she has to mitigate damages by looking for another roommate.

Have you tried helping her find a replacement roommate?

You are responsible technically for the half you signed the lease for. Since the small child does pay rent I cannot see how you are responsible for only 1/3 instead of 1/2.

Next time be more careful before you sign a 1 year lease, you could possible be on the hook for a few months of the rent if another roommate is not found.

Reply to reply - Additional comment...more advise?

Thank you for your reply!!!
I guess you could say I was mislead by the other person I signed with... she has an evil, bitter side and I'm afraid she will use that to hurt me.
I do not think she will attempt to find, or want to find another roomate. If I don't live there I WILL PAY... It's that type of situation.
What can she do??
Is there an agreement I can work out with the landlord that will let me off the hook? Some way I can get my name taken off the lease? Anyway to get around the nasty roomate??
I have no problem paying a penalty for breaking the contract, but I do not/can not pay rent for the rest of the year. Living with that person is not an option for me either...
I'm in such a dilema and I need all the advise you can offer.
Thank you so much in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back