Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Criminal background check and Prayer for Judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorijo22

I apologize for the lengthy post, but it's a lot of info-I hope you can help me know what to do. My story is this, with my questions to follow:

I was caught with concealed store merchandise (approx. $65 worth) about two years ago in NC, my state of residence. (Obviously a stupid move, so won't even go into it). I was issued a citation onsite. Prior to this I had never even gotten a traffic ticket, much less been in this kind of trouble. The time marked very clearly on the citation for my court appearance was 9 p.m., so I went on the appointed day and time, only to find the courthouse empty. Since the time was so clearly marked, I actually thought that the whole thing had been done by the officer just to scare me (yes, I was that naive), so I put it behind me and vowed to never think about doing something stupid like that again. A few weeks later an officer came to my apt. and arrested me for not appearing in court. I was handcuffed and fingerprinted, etc. My boss had to come down and post bail for me. It was horrible. So...I went to court and explained to the judge what had happened, but he didn't seem concerned about the mistake on the citation and my being arrested, etc. It seemed he was only interested that I was there that day. I talked to the DA at that time about getting an attorney, but she recommended that I ask for a Prayer for Judgement, considering my clean record. So, that's what I did--I didn't know what that was, exactly, but I was trusting her and just wanted it to be over. The judge told me not to go to the store for one year. I had no idea that I was supposed to pay court costs that day before I left. No one said anything about my needing to pay anything, and since I had never even had a ticket before, I was ignorant as to how it all works. So...a few weeks later, here comes another officer to my apt. to arrest me! I go through the whole thing again with fingerprinting, mugshot, etc. I talked to the Magistrate about the situation, and he was nice enough to let me go, with the agreement that I would appear in court again prepared to pay the money (which I did).

Which brings me to the questions I am facing now. Presently I am looking for a job--I'm a Registered Nurse, which means most employers will run a criminal background check on me.

1. Will a routine criminal background check bring up the two arrests that were made, and if so, can the employer tell what the original charge was?
2. Will the background check bring up the citation for the shoplifting, and/or the Prayer for Judgement ruling? (I understand that a PFJ is not considered a conviction, but if my prospective employer is made aware of even my being charged, that is a moot point).
3. Do I have any recourse regarding the error on the original citation?
4. Can I somehow get the two arrests wiped off of my record?

Thank you for any help you can give to me!

hi

can I find out what happened to your job hunt? where you able to find out if the record came out of the back ground? I think you need to get a copy of your rap sheet and find out if the whole thing will come out or not...pls let me know what happens... goodluck

Reply to "Humbled"...

Hi-

I'm still looking for a job--have had a few promising prospects, but not hired yet. Bad thing is, I'm probably not even going to know if the prospective employers run a check and the arrests and all pop up--even if I don't get hired because if it, it's more likely that they will just say that they decided to "go with another applicant," and leave it at that. You said I should "get a copy of my rap sheet." How do I do that?:confused:

can I ask what state youre in... you have to ask the county youre in and find out how you can get a disposition of your case and also a state rap sheet.they should have information on this.For all you know the matter is not resolved yet and thats probably what the employers are seeing.Find out if you got convicted or not...go back to the court that your case was handled...from then see if you need a lawyer to help you resolve the issue. I suggested you check your rap sheet so that you can find out what exactly your employers areseeing.Goodluck and i hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back