Father and mother of child want father to sign over rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukejb

I want to sign over my parental rights to one of my children. The mother also wishes me to do this. According to her she has no potential father in mind for him, she also stated if need be I could sign my rights over to her family. She has also stated that she did not want me to pay child support. I am a Marine stationed in North Carolina, and she is an airman stationed in Virginia. How do I go about signing over my parental rights for this child? If I do sign them over to her will I still have to pay child support if she says she doesn't want me to?

First of all I am not sure I understand your post. Why would you want to do this? Do you have any relationship with the child?

This questions gets asked alot on this website, not sure why. You cannot terminate your parental rights unless there is going to be a subsequent adoption being done. If so then an adoption attorney needs to be involved. It must be done if only in the childs best interest.

You just cannot do this, and you cannot sign rights over to her family. I don't understand her comment on "no potential father in mind". You are the father and do not do this if you do not want to. If she is not remarried, there is no step-father to adopt so this probably cannot happen anyways.

If you want to pay child support and set up legal visitation to the child, or have someone see the child on your behalf since you are in the military, you can also do this.

See an attorney if you have any questions.

curious, dukejb

I currently reside in PA, and also have a child with dukejb. I was considering moving to NY with my mother to be closer to etended family. Possibly within the next year. If I were to move, How do I go about transfering a PA court ordered child support to NY state? Is there any specail laws I need to follow if I do decide to move? Our son is almost 18 months old and dukejb has only seen him twice, ever, last time being over a year ago. Neither of us has filed for "legal" custody, but I am the custodial parent and dukejb has a home address in SC. Any advise/explanations would be greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back