Harassment by my Neighbor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatToDoNext

We're experiencing an ongoing issue with our neighbors which basically stems from the fact that we own two large dogs. During the day our dogs are kept in a large enclosure which has an awing cover, XL Dog house, Food & Water. The issue began about a year ago when Animal Control came to our door to say that there was a complaint that the dogs were not being fed. The officer actually did not even knock on my door and was leaving when I went to see why he was there. I was advised of the annonomous complaint-and told that the animals were in excellent condition and that he did not know why he was there. One month later the same officer returned, same complaint, same result. Two weeks later he returned to now state that the complaint said that the dogs had no water. The officer asked me if I knew of any reason why these complaints were being filed, and at that time I thought that perhaps the dogs barking had bothered someone. Over the next 6 months Animal Control made the same types of visits to our home 8 more times. In this time I was never one issued any warnings or citations, neither written or verbal. I still had no definate knowledge as to where these complaints were stemming from. Today, however I finally discovered the source. At 3pm there was a knock on my door, when I stepped outside I realized that there were Two Animal Control Officers at my door. I began to walk with them toward the back area where I realized that there were two more gentelmen in my back yard, and one woman. At that time I was introduced to a Public Safety Officer, and the Mayor of our town....That's right, The Mayor. I was told that these officials had come due to the numerous complaints which had been generated from a single source. Apparently today my neighbor across the street physically went to the animal control office and demanded that "something be done". I was told that she was upset because she was the code enforcer for my neighborhood, and she felt as though the chain link enclosure did not conform to the Historical Society guidelines, and that is was astetically displeasing. She also stated that she felt that the Canopy over the enclosure could foster a breeding environment for mosquito's (Thus the Public Safety Officer) and that when it rained -if the dogs were outside she felt that the we conditions were unsafe for the animals. I have yet to figure out exactly WHAT the mayor was doing here... I was shown a written report that stated the complaints. I asked if I could get a copy of that report and I was told that I actually wasn't even supposed to see it. The public safety officer stated she did not see any violations, and she promptly left with the Mayor. The Animal control officers stayed a few minutes longer and they advised me of specifically which neighbor was generating the complaints. They told me that this woman is irate that I have not received a written violations, and that she was known for using her position as the code enforcemer to "throw her weight around". I was told that even though I am not in Violation of any regulations, I may want to either build a fence for the animals to replace the enclosure. I am now wondering at what point does this behavior she is demonstrating become harassment? This woman has repeatedly wasted the time of animal control Numerous times, and now I have the Mayor in my yard over this. I asked the officer this same question, and he advised me that each time he receives a call he must investigate it. He also advised me that beyond the 10+ times I was aware of his visiting my property, he had made numerous additional visits because of complaints when I was not home. Legally, do I have any recorse to make this stop? The animal control officers have truly been open and kind to me. After the Mayor left they were laughing at the situation. Though I fully acknowledge that there is an element of humor in what transpired today- I wonder if I must indefinately subject myself to infinate regular visits from Animal Control. It is truly embarassing to have that truck parked in front of my home 2-3 times a month!! I feel as though because this woman is in Code Enforcement, she is being given considerations that the normal citizen would never be afforded. Any insight would be welcomed and appreciated.

This is one defintion of harassment from the website http://www.thefreedictionary.com/harassment
" n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious. Such activities may be the basis for a lawsuit if due to discrimination based on race or sex, a violation on the statutory limitations on collection agencies, involve revenge by an ex-spouse, or be shown to be a form of blackmail ("I'll stop bothering you, if you'll go to bed with me"). The victim may file a petition for a "stay away" (restraining) order, intended to prevent contact by the offensive party. A systematic pattern of harassment by an employee against another worker may subject the employer to a lawsuit for failure to protect the worker. (See: harass, sexual harassment)"

First, ask animal control to give you documentation of their visits...all of them, including their findings that no problem exists. Also try and get a letter from the Mayor's office about his visit and that no violations existed, and from Public Safety as well that no violations existed. Write the neighbor. stating that you consider the complaints harassment and will seek legal recourse if she does not stop. Mail return receipt for your documentation. You may want to cosult a lawyer on how to do this or hire one to do it for you. Ask law enforcement what recourses you have such as a temporary restraining order of some type. You may be able to file some sort of petition on your own with the court without a lawyer. Find out how this woman became the code enforcer for the neighborhood. You then may be able to start a neighborhood petition to oust this person from the position she holds and site her abuses. I am sure other neighbors have had similar experiences with her and would be glad to have some recourse. One other thing to consider is if your dogs are barking during the day while you are gone, that might be the catalyst for the problems. There are products on the market to stop dogs from barking. One such item is a little box-like unit that emits a high frequency sound whenever the dogs bark (I have one) and it can be mounted where your dogs are at. The range if I remember was 10 or15 feet. It doesn't hurt them and runs on batteries, so you have to check the battery every month. It cost me about $35 dollars with tax at Pet Smart. It wouldn't hurt to try it. She may think, erroneously, that the dogs are barking because they need or want something OR she's just a kook getting off on her "power". Good luck! Let us (forum site) know what happens and how you handle it to help others in your situation. Also tell us the state your in so in the future state laws and codes can be looked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back