is there a sol on debt collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeanl99

about 10-13 years ago, i had a automotive repair business. A customer brought a car in for repairs but when i tried to start it to see what was wrong with it, it caught on fire and was completely destroyed. i refused to pay for it because the problem that caused the fire was an existing one and was in no way my fault. i hadn't done any repairs to the car so i advised the customer to go thru his insurance company. Well the insurance company sued me personnally, even though my business was a corp. They optained a default judgement because I didn't show up in court because I had no attorney and couldn't afford one. and I closed the bussiness.So now, i get a subpoena to appear in court and bring proof of wages after 12-15 years for a $500 car, i now live in tenn and they say i owe them $10,000 and if I dont show up a warrent will be issued and I will have to spend 90 days in jail.Is there a statue of limitations on bill collecting, and can they hold me personnally responsible even though it was a corp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back