Suspension pending Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

mar650

2 Questions:
When being interrogated and told to write & sign a statement, is there a law stating that I must have a witness/representation during the interrogation? (non-union, private sector)

Currently I am suspended pending termination, however, I did not receive or was shown any documentation of what transpired or that I am suspended. Is there a law stating that I must have written notification of my current suspended status?

The situation:
I was rushed into an office, questioned regarding an incident that occurred one year ago, told and was given 15 minutes to write a statement. During this time I could hear my manager and a headquarters rep laughing the in the next room. I was told by my manager to hand over my ID's and such. Told that I have been suspended and told to clean out my locker. It has been 5 days, I haven't been contacted by HR or by my manager. I have been with this company for ten years and have a great record. Just seeking some advice. Thanks in advance.

When being interrogated and told to write & sign a statement, is there a law stating that I must have a witness/representation during the interrogation? (non-union, private sector)

No, there is no such law. For a very brief time, the courts ruled that Weingarten rights (the right to have a witness present during a meeting if you had a reasonable belief that the meeting would result in disciplinary action) but that was later changed to be only applicable in union settings.

Currently I am suspended pending termination, however, I did not receive or was shown any documentation of what transpired or that I am suspended. Is there a law stating that I must have written notification of my current suspended status?

No, there is no such law.

While solely on the basis of the very few facts I have, it does not sound as if the matter was handled particularly well, there is nothing, again solely in the few facts I have, to suggest that any laws have been violated.

My right to know?

Do I, at least, have the right to know exactly why I am being suspended?

I apologize for my ignorance, I have never been in this type of situation.
Thanks for you input, I appreciate it.

No, surprisiing as it may seem to you and me, they have no legal obligation to tell you why you have been suspended.

A suggestion; if your suspension is unpaid AND if it has exceeded whatever waiting period your state may have for unemployment benefits, you can try applying for UI. While they don't have to tell you why you were suspended, if they contest benefits they have to tell the UI commission.

If they don't contest you still may not know why, as they only have to give a reason to the UI office if they are contesting. But in that case, at least you'd have the UI benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back