Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Police searched car and everyhting in it, with only permission to search car

Status
Not open for further replies.

olga

Me and my boyfriend are both 16 and we were taking liquor to a party. We decided to stop and park at a nearby park away from everyone and mess around in the back. Unfortunatly, about an hour later the police drove up and asked us for our ID's and to step out of the car. They immediatly started asking me if i had weapons, to which i said no. Then the police officer asked, "May I look?" thinking he was refferring just to the weapons, and thinking he was jsut going to glance around to see if some big guns hanging around, I said yes. To my surprise, he went through everything. He opened up all my bags that I had, which were zipped shut, and found the alcohol, then looked through my boyfriends coat, to which he didint consent to be searched. In the coat he found some old marijuana,which he hadn't smoked for months and which i knew nothing about. This was a first offense for the both of us. Are they aloud to search closed bags and coats which did not belong to me? does "may I take a look" mean the same as "may I thouroughly search your car?". I was fined $75 and my boyfriend $150. Is there anyhitng we can do?

olga said:
Me and my boyfriend are both 16 and we were taking liquor to a party. We decided to stop and park at a nearby park away from everyone and mess around in the back. Unfortunatly, about an hour later the police drove up and asked us for our ID's and to step out of the car. They immediatly started asking me if i had weapons, to which i said no. Then the police officer asked, "May I look?" thinking he was refferring just to the weapons, and thinking he was jsut going to glance around to see if some big guns hanging around, I said yes. To my surprise, he went through everything. He opened up all my bags that I had, which were zipped shut, and found the alcohol, then looked through my boyfriends coat, to which he didint consent to be searched. In the coat he found some old marijuana,which he hadn't smoked for months and which i knew nothing about. This was a first offense for the both of us. Are they aloud to search closed bags and coats which did not belong to me? does "may I take a look" mean the same as "may I thouroughly search your car?". I was fined $75 and my boyfriend $150. Is there anyhitng we can do?
Did you tell the cop after he started going through your things that you didn't give him permission to go through your things? If not you may be able to get out of the alcohol charge.

I cop is allowed to search you (pockets, etc.) for his own safety so your out of luck there.

Ask for drug court or ask for a diversion so that you can have no record.

No I did not, but that was only after he had found it. While he was looking through the car, we got ushered off to the side by the other cop so we couldnt see what was going on. When i tried to step closer to see what the cop was rummaging through in the car, i got shooed away by his partner.

olga said:
No I did not, but that was only after he had found it. While he was looking through the car, we got ushered off to the side by the other cop so we couldnt see what was going on. When i tried to step closer to see what the cop was rummaging through in the car, i got shooed away by his partner.
Then there is no way out of this. They look through backpacks for guns so in his eyes you gave him permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back