Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Neighbor harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelp11

A while ago I posted a few messages asking for advice about some neighbors that have been harassing us for 3 years. To contact the police and video cameras were suggested. I have used both resources. The officers have not been able to help much as apparently, there has to be a crime otherwise they do not do anything. I am in California. It all started with noise problems I was having with neighbors #1 (barking dogs). Neighbor #1 made friends with neighbor renter #2 and they have both been harassing us for the last 1 1/2 year (sending the kids out to scream every time I go to the yard or sending them out to scream on my side of the house early on a weekend to wake us up, throwing trash in front of my house, honking the car horns in front of my house, making the dogs bark, etc). I have video-taped the kids screaming. Both neighbors have gotten smarter and I have noticed that they have been sending people to scare me or something and I believe they are doing it at my workplace (outside) from the evidence they are leaving (the same "trash" that they leave outside my house in the same spot every week. There is more to it by I am not giving details. I have also been receiving phone calls from people from my area very early in the morning and very late at night. Even one of them gave the police officer a false phone that he was apparently trying to call (the Police told me that there was not crime in that to my surprise). One of the neighbors works for a polling company and several phone calls have been for polls. Both neighbors have my phone.

This weekend I went outside to the front of my house and saw that there were many pieces of broken glass. This is the third time I have seen this but the first 2 times it was only a couple of pieces and on my driveway. I am pretty sure they are sending people to harass and not doing the harassment themselves. I will finally put video cameras outside but I was thinking of putting covert cameras to catch the person who is doing all this.

My questions are:

Is there anything I can do to find out who these neighbors are sending to harass me (at my workplace or anywhere I go that is, as I am putting video cameras in front of my house)?

How can I have the neighbors phone calls traced?

I have some car plate numbers and would like to find out the names and addresses but the DMV does not provide this information. Where can I find this information?

Should I hire a private investigator or can the police open an investigation?

We have been ignoring these neighbors but they are getting nastier (the broken glass, sending people to my work) and it looks like they are trying to harm us and scare us (which they don't). Neighbors #1 are afraid of the cops, last week when I told them I was calling the police on them, they turned off their lights completely for the rest of the night. But the next day I got the broken glass outside my house.

Any advice is appreciated. Just have in mind that I have been ignoring these neighbors for quite a while and they are still harassing. I am not selling my house. The funny thing is that these neighbors don't even know us that well and we are not doing anthying to them. This is all because of their dogs barking.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I have a tape where neighbor #1 yells "We are going to get ya".

Civil Lawsuit

I am not a lawyer, however, I think you should seek legal counsel if you can afford it. The neighbors #1 and #2 sound as if they are stalking you by following you to work and there may be an anti-stalking law where you are at. You must first have evidence though. They have cameras you can buy to put up that are small so they can't be seen by the people you want to tape. The feed may even go directly to your computer. They may be able to be motion sensitive. Once you have evidence then maybe you could sue them in civil court, but I don't know on what grounds. That's why I suggest you seek legal counsel. Also, a lawyer may be able to send them letters to cease their activities. Have you tried contacting the neighbor's landlords? Maybe they wouldn't like to have tenents such as them. Whatever you decide to do things will get worse before they get better. Tape record the calls if possible and try star #69 on your phone if that's available. That calls back the number that called you. Talk to the neighbors supervisor/boss if you find out it truely is the neighbor calling during work. Put yourself on the do not call list at that business. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO BE PREPARED FOR A BACKLASH! Also, change your phone number. It's a hassel but may be worth it for a little peace and quiet. Get an unlisted number. There are also gadgets you can buy that sound like a barking dog and are motion detectors. Put them on the other side of where the glass is being thrown over. It'll startle whoever it is and give you a heads up that someone is out there. The same with motion lights. Get huge floodlights that come on with motion for those areas. Get big thorny bushes and plant them by your fences so people won't lean over them. You have lots of options but be careful how you use them so you don't end up getting sued or arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back