Ex wants to terminate rights to get out of Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaerosmithchic

My ex is threatening to go to court to terminate his rights so he no longer has to pay child support and I just found out that him and his wife are expecting, this will be his 3rd kid (3 kids by 3 different people!). Can he just up and choose to get out of paying, or will the courts just "laugh" at him like I am sure will happen?

You can not just terminate your rights. If you file for support, he will likely get visitation. Even if you agree, you have to have a step father willing to adopt the child and so on. It's not as easy as some people think. The court will not let him terminate his rights. He may decide to be spiteful and not pay his support. Don't let him. Stick up for yourself and your child.

Good Luck.

gearhart7 said:
You can not just terminate your rights. If you file for support, he will likely get visitation. Even if you agree, you have to have a step father willing to adopt the child and so on. It's not as easy as some people think. The court will not let him terminate his rights. He may decide to be spiteful and not pay his support. Don't let him. Stick up for yourself and your child.

Good Luck.

He already has visitation and I have been getting support for 8 years, he even went to jail for not paying. He is now refusing to get our son for his court appointed visit at Thanksgiving. There is no one willing to adopt as I am not married and as far as not wanting to pay, ever since he went to jail, they take the support right out of his paycheck.

He does not know what he is talking about. He just cannot sign over his rights. If it were that easy we would have deadbeat dads walking around all over the place.

He does not have to use his visitation, but he has to pay support. Since he has more children it is possible he might be granted a small decrease since he has subsequent children, but that is it. He would have to go to court and request that.

abandoment

For him to have abandoed his kid, does that mean no contact/seeing him? I heard that it also means the he does not pay support in order for him to have abandoded his kid?

Every state law is different on what they consititute as abandonment.

He cannot abandon his kid to get out of support. He still risks going to jail if he does not pay.

He cannot petition the court to terminate rights. Only you can do that and you must be remarried, step father willing to adopt.

I would not let him off the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back