Are parents responsible for child in college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigunder

Thank you for listening and trying to help!!
I am a 2o going on 21 very shortly(two weeks), and I am in college for Criminal Justice and had a question that I thought you guys could help with! I have a stepfather who does not support me being in college, infact he is trying to kick me out of the house the only thing is my mom says Ai do not have to yet and it is all my family who lives in the house not his family. I was wondering if my mother has legal resposibility for me untill I am out of college, as well as if a stepfather has rights to kick me out if both names are on the deed? Some facts you might need to no are I do make 12 dollars an hour at my plumbing job but with school and the amount of work their is in that feild Im averaging about 50 bucks a week, so I cannot financially support myself. I do make car payments, car insuance payments, and buy my own food and laundry soap, the only thing I take from them is a little spot in the basement it isn't even a room!! I have excellent grades, I listen to them, I do not have friends over, or party! So I thank you for taking time to read my question I hope I gave you enough information about the subject. I appreciate your time
Sincerely Bryan "Bigunder"

What state are you in?

It appears you pay your own way and do not occupy much space, why does your stepdad want you out so bad?

You did not say what state you are in but in most states you are emancipated once you turn 18. Your parents are not required to support you while you attend college. If stepdad wants you to move out and your mother stays married to him, he can do it. You can legally stay there as long as your mom allows it but how miserable he will make you or your mom is anyone's guess.

Have you tried talking to your mom about this? what does she say? Does she side with you or her husband? If neither want you there then you have to move out.

Sucks but you might have to cut back on school and work more hours to support yourself.

Do you have any other friends or family close by you can move in with?

Thanks

Thanks for replying especially so quickly! I am from New York and the reason he wants me out so bad is beause he is does not like kids includiong my 12 year old brother and he cannot stand noise I mean even a whisper is too lound. i am a quiet person and i keep to myself but I feel he thinks of me as competition and he takes a lot of medictaion that gives him high blood pressure and so on... He admits himself that he hates being around poeple so I guess you are right I should pack up and move out. My mother really wants me to stay she just doesn't tell him because she doesn't want drama in the house. She gave my older brother 40,000 for college and all I want is a spot in the basement..

Well thank you very much for responding to my question/complaint I was very unclear on this situation but you helped clear it up greatly!
Thank You,
Bryan "Bigunder"

Check out YMCA

I know this is a month later but maybe you could check out a room at your local YMCA. The cost is usually cheap and may be an alternative. I don't know the conditions or rules there; that is something you would have to look into for yourself to see if it's a livable condition. What about student loans? Payback is hard sometimes, but might allow you to be independent and rent an efficiency. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back