Criminal Law Misdemeanor+out of status!!please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilily

I was an F-1 student and this year my ex-girl-friend charged me into the civil court and the judge gave me a PFA, because of which my school evicted me. I was told that I could not register for the fall semester starting on late August. At late July, I got the admission from another institute and I transfered out my record from SEVIS and got the new I-20. However, just before I planned to move to another city, the girl again, charged me into the criminal court for exactly the same reasons: "stalking", "harassment", "disordered behaviors",etc, which led to 7 days in jail because I don't have the money for the bail bond. In the prelimenary hearing, I was advised by my lawyer to "plea guilty" to "stalking" charge and the DA would drop all the others against me. And I was told that I didn't need to serve further in jail. The pre-trial will be held this month. But now, the nightmare didn't end since last month I was notified by the new school that they cancelled my I-20 because "someone" from my previous school let them know my case. Later I knew that my record was sent back to the previous school and they terminated it, without any notice. So now I got out of status.

What should I do now? I can't just leave this country, coz I have to attend the trial. Could I be arrested by the immigration police just after the trial? I was very worried! Please help!

sorry about your situation,
i am not sure about your school thing, but you may have problems with immigration in future if you decide to immigrate, IF you plead guilty.
ask public defender about other options to dismiss the case without you pleading guilty.
good luck!

When you're out of status, have you talked to an advisor in previous school? In this case, you may have to go to INS (now DHS) and they will decide whether you are eligible for reinstatement. I am also a f-1 student and have similiar exp. like this... If he/she is in good standing and has a proof/reason/any explanation on situations, no prob.. But your case would be complicated becaues possibly it's related to a criminal conviction. I guess you have 60 days to sort things out after termination. Act quickly..

and you don't have to worry about the trial. I went to trial too. (I've been arrested and charged with a misdemeanor this july) I still stay in school w/o prob. Haven't heard anything from my school and INS yet.

rosewd said:
and you don't have to worry about the trial. I went to trial too. (I've been arrested and charged with a misdemeanor this july) I still stay in school w/o prob. Haven't heard anything from my school and INS yet.

Thank you for your reply! by the way, what's your charge? What's the final result out of your trial? I requested a continium for my case and the next hearing will be next year. The best wish I have now is that we can negociate with DA and get a better result rather than "stalking', which I never did but a deportable charge.

1 year of probation and court fee (it's my first arrest). Anyway are you sure the school terminated your i-20? You gotta maintain F-1 status. You know it's more important than Visa. You need to reinstate your f-1 status right away whatever it takes. You have two options I guess. Find a new school and transfer your i-20 or you need to go to the immigration for reinstatement.

rosewd said:
1 year of probation and court fee (it's my first arrest). Anyway are you sure the school terminated your i-20? You gotta maintain F-1 status. You know it's more important than Visa. You need to reinstate your f-1 status right away whatever it takes. You have two options I guess. Find a new school and transfer your i-20 or you need to go to the immigration for reinstatement.

Thank you for your suggestions! The situation right now is that I almost get the admission from a new school, however, they told me that they won't give it to me nor reinstate my f-1 until my case is solved. What should I do now? Please help! Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back