Custody Case involving parents new girlfriend

Megs11711

So I'll try to make this as short as I possibly can. My boyfriend has a 4 year old daughter with his ex-girlfriend. They broke up when the child was 2 and briefly got back together for 2 weeks Between then and now before completely splitting. They have had NO problems co-parenting their child until we started dating back in February. I've been his only girlfriend aside from her in 4 years and he's never asked for another female to be introduced to his daughter. Once that happened she stopped allowing their child to be at his house and told him she would make his life hell as long as he was with me. As well as sending us physically threatening text messages and actually physically abusing him at one point which he never filed against her for hoping she'd calm down and stop the nonsense. He was forced to take her to court so he could see his child and back in May they signed a court agreement on a visitation schedule as well as an agreement that I will be allowed to meet the child once our relationship has lasted 6 months. Now that the 6 month mark is approaching she is taking him back to court in August telling him that she is going to bring her family in as "witnesses" to me trying to run her off the road and yelling things by her house as well as a bunch of social media nonsense even though BOTH of us have blocked her and her entire family and have never mentioned her name. None of the harassment she's saying is true she is obviously just completely unstable. I have tried to be nice and I have respected the 6 month agreement but now she's threatening to tell these lies in court as well as that their child is "emotionally damaged" because they are not together to try and get the agreement she already signed changed from 6 months to a year... ive never been in trouble with the law or arrested and I've never even been so much as pulled over even ONCE while driving... I'm also licensed to work with children / have a college degree in child care and have been working with kids for 6 years... Will a judge really listen to all of this without any proof other than her lying family members "witness accounts" and change the agreement she's already signed? My boyfriend is just sick of her trying to run his life and wants to be able to live his life the way he chooses.

Nobody can really say what the judge will do. Each side will present their case, their witnesses, evidence etc. He needs to talk with his lawyer as to the best way to present his side.

Neither of them are bringing lawyers with them, he just plans on showing the judge the text messages of her threatening him repeatedly and saying that she will ruin his life any way she can if he stays with me .. Other than that she has no written or videoed evidence of anything to defend her case

Again, no one can predict what a judge will decide. It all depends on who says what and what evidence is presented. If someone tells lies and there is no way to refute the lies, then the judge has to decide who seems the most believable. He/she can only rule on what is presented to them. I can tell you having spent some time in family court that things often go better for the ones who have an attorney. Not just because they have an attorney per se, but because they are better prepared.

I know no one can predict what any one judge will do ... Just wondering if anyone in similar situations had a certain outcome when the mother just tells lies but the father has proof of her saying and threatening a bunch of crazy things. I really appreciate your advice though ... We definitely understand the attorney thing, but at the moment he cannot afford one because he has been out of work due to a medical issue that is very serious and can't afford one this time around because he spent what he already had on one back in May to get his visitation rights... He was thinking about filing a motion to reschedule the court date until he gets back to work and can afford one, but we weren't sure if that would be granted and if I would be prevented from the 6 month meeting of their child which would take place before the rescheduled court date or if I would have to wait until the hearing

If he is able to get the court date rescheduled, then the current orders remain in affect. However, if she is very volatile about this situation you may not want to rock the boat. Cell phones are generally not allowed into a courthouse so if all of his evidence is on his phone, he may need to find another way to present that evidence.

He has all of the text messages printed with dates ... I'm not sure if judges take those into consideration because I've literally never been involved or in trouble with any part of the law so this is completely brand new to me

Is there a reason it is necessary at this point to introduce you to a 4 year old? 6 months is not that long of a relationship. If she doesn't live with him, it seems that maybe waiting could be better. It seems that he is doing this more to prove a point than because it is really in the best interest of the child. Typically, that is what the judge is going to look at anyway. He might want to live his life the way he likes but when one is a parent, the child needs to come first.

We have been in each other's lives for 10 years. I'm not someone knew to the father. And whether or not it's necessary after 6 months isn't what I asked. You can have your opinion and I respect whatever that is but she is the one who decided the 6 month mark in the first place and signed upon it. She also stated in a text that their child is ALREADY benefitting in a positive way by her father and myself being in a relationship. I only wanted to know how likely a judge would be to change something which she already signed and agreed upon based off of lies backed by no proof other than other people's lies while also having evidence on his side where she made all of these threats.

Judges are pretty savvy about cutting through the b.s.

I agree. I've seen people try to go back to court pretty much every year to attempt to change custody or visitation, most of the times for absolute nonsense reasons. I heard one judge say that if he allowed people to change their custody/visitation agreements every time they asked, he'd spend all his time on custody cases and never get anything else done.

All he can do is go to court, take whatever "evidence" he has & tell the truth. As noted, most judges are pretty good at knowing who is telling the truth. Good luck to him.

It is best to have a lawyer's help when you can.

Back