I have full custody of my son but I'm not sure of my rights

Blueeyes23

What I really need to know is what exactly are my rights? When my son was 2 he was taken by CSB but later I was given back full custody, and his father wasn't around at the time so he doesn't have any type of custody . My son is now 5 and his father is wanting to come around and he does pay child support and also signed the birth certificate. Am I still allowed to not let him see him without making him go to court first?

Were you and the father ever married? What does your support agreement say about visitation? If it does not cover visitation (rare) and you are not married then he will need to file in court for visitation. It will be awarded 99% of the time. Why would you not want the child to see his father?

What I really need to know is what exactly are my rights? When my son was 2 he was taken by CSB but later I was given back full custody, and his father wasn't around at the time so he doesn't have any type of custody . My son is now 5 and his father is wanting to come around and he does pay child support and also signed the birth certificate. Am I still allowed to not let him see him without making him go to court first?

Absent a court order, unmarried males who become fathers, have no custodial or visitation rights.
You, as the mom of the child, are vested with sole custody.
If the unmarried male seeks custody or visitation of your child, you'll be notified and should appear in court to tell your story.

Child support (paid or unpaid) has nothing to do with custody or visitation.

What is the reason why you do not want the Father to see his son? If you're not married to him, then he will have to go through the court system to get visitation.

Back