Order to show cause

Katherine1234

What does it mean when someone files an "Order to show cause" against you? I only know this was filed because it showed up on the case lookup online. I checked because my husbands ex has been threatening us with lawsuits we jut don't know what for. She also filed a "motion to modify-general" Any idea what that all means. It was filed on the 15th how long before we are served.?

We have no idea. Currently they make equal (or close to equal) so I don't think it's for child support. However my husband switched jobs and I think she thinks he now makes a lot more, which he doesn't. The current judgment regarding the children really is very light. Only stating they have 50/50 custody so I guess it can be for anything. I didn't know if the terminology of motion to modify-"general" meant anything specific.

Modifying a support agreement is far different than a lawsuit. Legally, she could do either one. If this was just filed 2 days ago, I would not expect the mail to work that fast. If he has not been forthcoming about the financial circumstances of his new job, then he may want to consider doing so. When raising children together it is important to know the financial situation of both parties.

I said she thinks he makes more. He doesn't. He hasn't kept any financial changes a secret. We have no idea how her financial situation has changed in the last 5 years. Currently he doesn't pay child support because they are equal earners. As far as we know she could be now making more than he does. We don't care. We don't want CS from her. I was asking what she could possibly be asking to
Modify

I said she thinks he makes more. He doesn't. He hasn't kept any financial changes a secret. We have no idea how her financial situation has changed in the last 5 years. Currently he doesn't pay child support because they are equal earners. As far as we know she could be now making more than he does. We don't care. We don't want CS from her. I was asking what she could possibly be asking to
Modify

You need to ask the person with the legal issue to know for sure.
I suspect she wants to modify custody or visitation, or is seeking more or less child support.
Ask her, or wait until they matter gets to court.

If neither of them have been up front with the other about finances she may be seeking support. He would have to ask her. It isn't unusual for support to be requested even when custody is shared. Whether it would be granted depends on details we do not have.

Back