Uncooperative ex spouse

Katherine1234

A few weeks ago my husband dropped off his two sons at his ex wife's house. Both boys asked if he could come in to show them a picture they had hung up. The only adult present was a babysitter, my husband asked the sitter if it was ok for him to see his sons picture, she said sure. My husband went in looked at the picture and left (he was in the house for 2 minutes). Later the ex wife called and was furious and told him to never enter the house. My husband apologized, agreed he had made an error in judgment and that it would never happen again. Well unfortunately her new husband won't let it go. He is sending texts messages threatening to have my husband arrested and telling his two sons that he is hiring a lawyer and Taking out an order of protection on their dad. My husband is worried and doesn't want anymore confusion so he sent a very nice email to his ex asking that for future drop offs and pick ups they meet at a neutral drop off point to exchange the boys. She refuses. She demands that he drop them off at her house even after all the threats from the husband. My question is doesn't she have to legally respect his email request to meet at a neutral spot. What if we showed up at the neutral drop off point and she doesn't show up? Could she call the police and tell them we didn't turn the kids over to her even though we stated we will not drop off at her house.? Do we need a court order to enforce this? Her new husband just seems really unstable and my husband has written her several times stating he doesn't want to go near her house. We even told her she could pick the time and place for drop off. She is refusing. Even telling us that she realizes that if she doesn't show up at the location that she doesn't get the kids. We just don't want her to call the police and tell them we didn't give her the boys even though we stated we would meet her at a specific location and a specific time. What can we do?

Your remedy lies before the court responsible for issuing the current custody/visitation order.
Off to court you go to seek an amendment to the order to drop off the kids at a police station or sheriff's office.
In the interim, your husband simply needs to request the local police meet him at the home of his former wife when he drops off and picks up the kids. You make sure he says that he requires to police to "stand by and keep the peace" during the drop off or pick up.

By the way, what better witness can anyone have than a sworn law enforcement officer?

New hubby is full of hot air, but your hubby can not just arbitrarily decide to change the drop off, pick up point. If he wants that changed, he needs to file for a modification with the court. Alternately, he can stay in the car while the kids walk to and from the door.

Ignore the texts and cease with the emails over this.

There is nothing in the original judgement concerning drop off or pick up of children. In fact there is very little in the judgement regarding the children. The ex chose drop and pick up at each other's homes, so my husband isn't changing any part of a final judgement. Does that make any difference? Guess it's time to hire a lawyer. We just wanted peace and not have to deal with them coming to our house or us having to go to theirs.

Back