Morality Clause and Grandparents

saturja

My ex and I have a morality clause in the decree; however, I wanted to ask to which extent does it apply to extended family. My 15 year old daughter is visiting my mother out of state for 2 weeks and she wanted to take her and her cousins to stay a couple days and her fiance's cabin 80 miles away. I have no problem with that but my ex is telling my daughter that (because my mother and her fiance are not married) that I would be violating the clause. He told her that if she goes to the cabin then he will fly there and bring her back to Texas and she will never see her grandmother again.

I wanted to check because it was my impression that the clause only applied to myself and the ex. If it applies to anyone, then wouldn't it violate the clause every time that she stays over at a friend's and the friend's father is there, too?

Please let me know because she and the cousin's were so excited and now they may cancel the trip.

Thank you!

It depends upon the exact wording of the agreement. However, if dad objects to the daughter staying with granny's boyfriend in a cabin far away, he can prevent that from happening. He might need to go to court to do it, which would be expensive and time consuming, but it could happen. I suggest talking to your ex about his concern, which is hardly irrational, and see if there is room for compromise. A friend visiting her friend when the friend's father is at the house is totally different than what you describe.

Thank you for your response and I guess my issue is that, if he goes out of town during his visitation, he sends her to stay at his friend's house. His friend is not related by marriage or blood. So, isn't that the same thing?

It depends on just how the clause is worded. Actually, it is best to work these things out together. If you have concerns about her staying at his friends house, discuss with him. You can talk to your divorce lawyer for clarification of anything you are not sure of re the morality clause.

Sending the child to spend time with a friend is quite different than sending her to spend time with an unmarried couple; especially an older man he does not know.

Back