Can my son's father take custody away from me cause I date a felon?

justasking1235

My son's father and I share 50/50 custody of my son. I have in black and white that it is OK for this man to be friends with and be around my son. But in his words I am not allowed to date him or he will take me to court. Mind you this man is a convicted felon whom has full custody of his daughter and joint custody of his son. Can my child's father do this?

The other parent can raise concerns that the child is spending time with a felon. Much depend son what this persons crimes were but yes the other parent can raise concern and use this as a reason to change custody.

His charges were grand larceny and eluding police. I understand he can raise concern but does he truly have a chance of taking my child away from me. Though he's given written permission for our child to spend time with this man just only as a friend not a significant other.

Yes, he does have a decent chance of getting full custody if you are exposing your child to a felon. Casual acquaintance and romantic interest are very different levels of exposure. Especially if this romance makes it to the living together/spending the night/marriage stage.

He can certainly take you to court re his concerns of the child being around a felon & "may" very well get a change in custody.

We've been over this question quite thoroughly "down the street". The answers are not going to change from board to board. Yes, there is a very good chance that you will lose custody.

His charges were grand larceny and eluding police. I understand he can raise concern but does he truly have a chance of taking my child away from me. Though he's given written permission for our child to spend time with this man just only as a friend not a significant other.

He can't take the child away from you, LEGALLY.
However, he can TRY to convince a court to do so.
Most people would have no problem choosing their child, over an adult lover, especially a convicted felon.

He may take you to court and try to do so. However, some courts may see that the person isn't a danger to the child, depending on what they were charged with. If there was a written permission and you go past that, then it's very possible. It's time to consider if youre willing to put your custody of the child at risk just for a relationship with a felon.

Back