Wills and trusts

Bluewaterguy

Everything my wife and I own, we own jointly. Do we really need a will? Or is a trust better? There is a do it yourself will kit offered on this app but it specifically sYs for Alabama wills. Is it legal in Illinois?

You might want to talk to a will/trust attorney to see what works best for your specific situation. You need to talk to someone you can discuss your situation with & all that you wish to accomplish.

Everything my wife and I own, we own jointly. Do we really need a will? Or is a trust better? There is a do it yourself will kit offered on this app but it specifically sYs for Alabama wills. Is it legal in Illinois?

If you have a large estate, own several properties, and have thousands of dollars in the bank (or banks); maybe a trust is better.
Some would argue it isn't, and that a will would suffice.

The choice should be made by you and your spouse, and each can decide differently for his or her personal possessions (her great grandmother's 40 karat diamond, your father's Rolex given to you upon his death, etc...).

You and your spouse should visit a couple trusts and estate attorneys in your county.
Talk to him or her, ask plenty questions, and take away the printed information many will provide.
Then read that information, think about yoru lives and the stuff you own.
Decide what you want to happen to it, and give it away now (I did that with most of my junk), and choose will or trust.

It takes time, effort, and research.
You can choose to create your wills at many online sites for free (or rather cheaply), or hire an attorney to do it for you.
Heck, these days, you can even create your trust online.

Finally, the first visit to most attorneys he or she offers without charge or obligation.

Good luck.

Back