Neglect?

CeCeMom

Hi I'm really trying to find help for my friend. She has has her niece for over a year and she needs help getting custody. The child was placed with her brother(the dad) after the child's mom was bad into drugs and lost all rights. The brother has left this child with his sister from day 1. He does not live with them. As a matter of fact he hasn't seen the child in months. My friend gets no help from anybody! She took the child to the e.r last week and they almost didn't even treat the child because my friend isn't the legal guardian. What can she do???

Hi I'm really trying to find help for my friend. She has has her niece for over a year and she needs help getting custody. The child was placed with her brother(the dad) after the child's mom was bad into drugs and lost all rights. The brother has left this child with his sister from day 1. He does not live with them. As a matter of fact he hasn't seen the child in months. My friend gets no help from anybody! She took the child to the e.r last week and they almost didn't even treat the child because my friend isn't the legal guardian. What can she do???

She should contact DCFS, tell them how she obtained possession of the child, and see if the state will work with her to make her situation LEGAL.

https://www.illinois.gov/dcfs/safekids/reporting/Pages/index.aspx

The person who abandoned the child needs to be reported.
The entire situation should be investigated.
The dear little child isn't property to be traded round and dropped off here and there.

Has a court actually terminated the mother's rights (very unusual)? Has a court actually granted the father sole physical and legal custody? It seems highly unusual they would have if this guy had no interest in the child. Is the friend in contact with either parent? Legal guardianship is the first step and relatively uncomplicated so long as the parent(s) agree. I would recommend contacting an attorney before going to DCFS. The child is not in immediate danger and there simply is not reason to involve them if it is not necessary.

Gaining legal guardianship, getting custody or anything of that sort would need to be done through the court system. She should talk to a lawyer about this.

Back