cps kidjacked my gaughter

babygirl760

I live in California with my four year old daughter. I recently let her go on a ten day visit with my sister to Colorado; where she broke her arm mind you. I am now being told that CPS from Colorado has my daughter because I am unfit and that I have to go to the hospital and take a drug test, then send it to CPS in Colorado so they can see that I am clean. They also stated I can not go to Colorado and get my daughter. When I say they I mean first my sister called me and told me a CPS worker was calling me right now, then as soon as I hung up someone who stated they were a CPS worker from Colorado called and told me that they have my daughter and what I needed to do to get her back; like go take the drug test. My Question is; does Colorado have the legal jurisdiction to even get involved when my daughter and I live in California and what can I do legally to get my daughter back if they don't have the right to be involved?

If you want to get your daughter back, you will need to do whatever CPS requires. You might discuss with a lawyer. I don't understand why CPS is saying you are unfit - all you note is she broke her arm while in the care of another (your sister). Is there more to the story? Are you positive it was CPS who called?

This doesn't sound right at all! Typically, the agency where the child resides will receive the cross report and will conduct the investigation. Either there is more to this story (such as you live in CO and recently came to CA to visit), or, you have not been speaking to CPS in CO.

There's more to this tale.

I live in California with my four year old daughter. I recently let her go on a ten day visit with my sister to Colorado; where she broke her arm mind you. I am now being told that CPS from Colorado has my daughter because I am unfit and that I have to go to the hospital and take a drug test, then send it to CPS in Colorado so they can see that I am clean. They also stated I can not go to Colorado and get my daughter. When I say they I mean first my sister called me and told me a CPS worker was calling me right now, then as soon as I hung up someone who stated they were a CPS worker from Colorado called and told me that they have my daughter and what I needed to do to get her back; like go take the drug test. My Question is; does Colorado have the legal jurisdiction to even get involved when my daughter and I live in California and what can I do legally to get my daughter back if they don't have the right to be involved?

Let's consider a scenario quite similar to yours.
I defended a man caught up in a situation very much like yours.

Let's call my client, Eddie.
Eddie had visitation rights with his 7 year old daughter.
His former wife, let's call her Doris, was the custodial parent (what we call in Texas, the managing conservator).
The child, we'll call her, Sparkles.
So, Doris met Eddie at the local police station to drop off Sparkles for her three day 4th of July holiday visit with Eddie.
Three days later, Eddie meets Doris back at the police station without Sparkles.
Doris becomes very excited, agitated, and concerned.
Words go back and forth in the lobby of the police station.
A couple officers get involved, begin asking questions, and Eddie says Sparkles ran away two days ago.
Eddie, my guy, claims he'd been searching for Sparkles for the last 48 odd hours.
The detectives and Eddie go back and forth, when suddenly Eddies says, "I want a lawyer, and I ain't talkin' no more."
Eddies was alleged to have been a small time meth chemist and seller.
Eddie calls me, and I agree to represent him, again.

Its later learned that the child ended up in Oklahoma with Eddie's sister, the child's aunt.
Auntie took the child to the local ER a day after she arrived at her home.
It seems Sparkles was claiming it HURT DOWN THERE, pointing to her private parts.
Sparkles is examined at ER, CPS called, because she had been sexually assaulted and was in great pain and bleeding.

Immediately Eddie is suspected of being the molester/rapist, incestuous perp.
A few days later, lab results come back, the DNA wasn't Eddie's, and he even took a lie detector test (against my counsel), and passed.

Okay, babygirl, how does this relate to your case?
Well, if you KNOW you're innocent, you simply take the test.
You cooperate with the authorities, do everything they request, as quickly as you can, remain calm, and you'll have your kid back in almost no time.
That's why Eddie did what they asked, he KNEW he was innocent.
Colorado has jurisdiction of the child in need of services, your kid.
If criminal charges are brought, the legal arm of the law can reach across the world to snatch the perp or perps.

By the way, the perp was Auntie's live in boyfriend, not Eddie.
Seems the Aunt and the perp drove down to Eddie's and somehow snatched the kid at night to be abused by her live in BOYFIEND.
Auntie had a key to Eddie's house.
The rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:
I agree with the post above. I especially echo the reply from CdwJava.

I would add that the OP should contact the CPS agency that is alleged to have her child to confirm what is being asked of her. Do not call a number given to you by the caller, rather make sure you are actually speaking with the agency.

If it is true, which I find hard to believe, take the test and do what they ask.

Back