Quiet Enjoyment Tenant v. Tenant - Quiet Enjoyment Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoingNuts

I live in a four flat building, each flat having a Master Tenant. The Master Tenant downstairs has three housemates, two of which are a big problem. THX-level soundsystem, slamming doors, constant pungent pot smoke and incense smoke (which I am extremely allergic to), seeping up into my flat. I have complained to the Master Tenant downstairs and she has asked the two 'problem tenants' to move out. They wil supposedly be out by Oct. 1, 2005, but in the meantime it seems as if all of the above have gotten worse, likely a form of 'acting out'.

I am fairly familiar with the SF Rent Control Ordinance, having successfully defended myself against a fraudulent sub-leasor lawsuit some years ago. Since then I have refused to have housemates - not worth the protential lies and terror. However, I cannot find any information about how to handle a tenant v. tenant issue such as this. I am on great terms with the landlord as I have lived here 10+ years and serve as a kind of building manager for him. I'm even on good terms with the Master Tenant downstairs, although I believe her way of handling her own tension with her sub tenants downstairs is to stay away from the flat as much as possible (leaving on weekends, staying at work long hours, etc.) leaving me to deal with her sub tenants. I don't blame her; having your home taken over by such anger can be overwhleming. But it shouldn't be my problem.

I have exhausted all communication with her subtenants as it seems that asking them to cease the disturbing behavior only indicates to them what to do to bother me. It's practically measurable.

Is there any legal action I can take (e.g. Quiet Enjoyment)? Against whom do I take it, the landlord or the Master Tenant? Is there any way to speed up getting rid of these 'children' downstairs? In exasperation, I have spoken to the landlord and he is fine with me bringing some form of legal action against him to in turn have him file against them to compel them to change their behavior/and/or vacate. Is this a smart way to go?

Many thanks in advance! And my advice to you all is be very wary of renting to young adults <25! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back