Can an Elected Official make defamatory statements about an appointed Town Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallcreek

I am the Building Official within a municipality. A member of our City Council has developed a disliking for me and my abilities. Over the last three years he has expressed to his fellow council members that he feels I am unable to do my job correctly and that I should be removed from my position. This council member is a contractor whom is required to call my department for inspections of his work. I do not provide the inspection of his jobs, as I wish to limit my exposure to him, but I do send out my inspectors to perform these inspections. He frequently is out of compliance with our codes and challenges my inspectors.

The City Manager and my direct supervisor feel differently about my job performance since they directly supervise my work. They feel that I am accomplishing the job as required. This has been documented within my positive yearly reviews. The councilmen, in his frustration to get me fired, has now resorted to telling my employees that I am not doing my job and that they should "stay away" from me. He provides them with false examples of problems that I have created, am a part of, or that I am negligent in my duties. My employees showing their loyalty, tell me of this each time they are approached. He is also complaining to the Mayor on a regular basis about my abilities. He does not have direct knowledge of what I do on a daily basis, yet he portrays to these individuals that he receives frequent complaints about me.

I was recently given a Directors position over another department as well as maintaining my current position. He complained so much that the City Manager asked me if I was willing to pass those responsibilities to someone else. I had no choice but to agree. I have also been required on numerous occasions to provide reports to justify my staffing levels, and my position. The City Manager has tried to use this as a tactic to satisfy the council member's complaints.

His false statements to my staff, my supervisors, my Council members, and the public have probably affected my ability to properly manage my department as well as perform my duties. He has damaged my 12 years of reputation and I feel I have lost promotions due to his complaints.

Is this defamation of character and what should I do to resolve this situation? If I were to file a legal action, would it be to my employer? The City Manager has always supported me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back