Jurisdiction of Step Parent Adoption

jrc24

I am planning to pick up my daughter from Illinois because her father has stated that he no longer wants custody of her and wants to give up his rights. She has been residing in Illinois for seven years but will be coming with me to Washington this week. My husband is willing to adopt her. Where should the adoption be filed and is there a period of time before the adoption can be filed?

I am planning to pick up my daughter from Illinois because her father has stated that he no longer wants custody of her and wants to give up his rights. She has been residing in Illinois for seven years but will be coming with me to Washington this week. My husband is willing to adopt her. Where should the adoption be filed and is there a period of time before the adoption can be filed?

Read the existing custody order.
You might want to consult an Illinois or a Washington attorney.
Children aren't supposed to handed around as if they were kittens, puppies, or pet rats.
All may not be what it seems.
You might be setting yourself up for some legal issues.
Your husband is under a court order.
If he no longer wishes to be daddy, he might wish to take that up with the court.
As far as adoption, that takes time and money, requires a lawyer and a judge's approval after an extensive background investigation.
Before you leap into this, protect yourself, seek REAL legal advice from a licensed attorney near you.

Back