consent to change domicile

curiosj82

I recently moved out of state with my son, his father and I have joint legal custody. when I called the court to find out what papers I needed they told me I only needed a signed and notarized letter from him. Basically I am asking if there are steps I should take to actually file through the court. I know he woud never dispute it, I just want to make sure everything is done correctly.

I recently moved out of state with my son, his father and I have joint legal custody. when I called the court to find out what papers I needed they told me I only needed a signed and notarized letter from him. Basically I am asking if there are steps I should take to actually file through the court. I know he woud never dispute it, I just want to make sure everything is done correctly.

I suggest you consult with several licensed, Michigan family law attorneys, or contact a couple attorneys in the state where your custody order was issued.
Why?
Because, the advice you were given might not be completely accurate.
You could start by rereading your current custody order.

Most such custody orders (not all), will have language about where you and the child can live, how far away you can move without consulting the court (or the other parent), and much, much more.

You may have already goofed by moving prior to obtaining consent. You will likely want some legal assistance to make sure things don't go bad.

Have a look at your Friend of Court handbook. I know it (or one from another county) is online.

Back