dhr removed child now just decides to drop case and give him back?

kr2005

My girlfriend is in the middle of a nasty custody/divorce with her children's father. It was ruled in a temporary hearing that the boy (9) live with his father who lives in Alabama and the girl (17) live with her mother who now lives just inside of Georgia. She was allowed weekend visitation with her son while it was up to the daughter whether she wanted to see her father due to the fact that he help her for an entire weekend at her house against her will when she tried to return home to her mothers before the weekend was done. Well he encourages the son to treat his mother horribly and say horrible things to her and about her. Well an issue came up where the childrens father was threatening to kill himself and she did not know where her son was so she called the police and they went to the residence and took him to 72 hour lockup. Alabama dhr then called my girlfriend to come pick the child up at his school. When he was released from 72 hour lockup my girlfriend went to dhr and opened a case where it was determined that the child will reside with his mother with only one hour one day a week supervised visitation with the father. He was ordered to do classes of some sort not sure what but about 3-4 weeks passed and all the sudden today they call her and say that because she does not live in Alabama they are closing the case and she will have to come in on Monday and sign paperwork and return the child to the fathers custody or contact georiga dhr? when she asked why they just up and closed it she got no answers. Now the court custody agreement is in Alabama so what can georiga dhr do? The child is being exposed to severe mental abuse and his father is mentally unstable. What can we do to keep him with his mother and avoid her getting contempt of court for not returning him to his father? HELP!!!

You need a lawyer. Hire one in your county. A simple message board can't do much more than suggest you hire a lawyer. Otherwise, as you suspicion, the kid is in great peril.

You might consider getting a lawyer's help.

My girlfriend is in the middle of a nasty custody/divorce with her children's father. It was ruled in a temporary hearing that the boy (9) live with his father who lives in Alabama and the girl (17) live with her mother who now lives just inside of Georgia. She was allowed weekend visitation with her son while it was up to the daughter whether she wanted to see her father due to the fact that he help her for an entire weekend at her house against her will when she tried to return home to her mothers before the weekend was done. Well he encourages the son to treat his mother horribly and say horrible things to her and about her. Well an issue came up where the childrens father was threatening to kill himself and she did not know where her son was so she called the police and they went to the residence and took him to 72 hour lockup. Alabama dhr then called my girlfriend to come pick the child up at his school. When he was released from 72 hour lockup my girlfriend went to dhr and opened a case where it was determined that the child will reside with his mother with only one hour one day a week supervised visitation with the father. He was ordered to do classes of some sort not sure what but about 3-4 weeks passed and all the sudden today they call her and say that because she does not live in Alabama they are closing the case and she will have to come in on Monday and sign paperwork and return the child to the fathers custody or contact georiga dhr? when she asked why they just up and closed it she got no answers. Now the court custody agreement is in Alabama so what can georiga dhr do? The child is being exposed to severe mental abuse and his father is mentally unstable. What can we do to keep him with his mother and avoid her getting contempt of court for not returning him to his father? HELP!!!

Alabama DHR does not have any control over Mom without there being a pain-in-the-backside process to complete first. What they've done is simply given her a choice. Get Georgia involved, or bring the child back to Dad.

Mom needs an attorney DESPERATELY - as in first thing Monday morning. There will already be jurisdictional issues and that's not something she wants to do herself. She can ask the attorney if it would help if she filed an ex parte (emergency) order in Alabama first.

Good luck.

I hired her a lawyer over a month ago who has been working the custody case. We were unable to reach him on Friday but he would not file for a emergency hearing as long as dhr was involved. The day this all went down when we were unsure what had happened with dad and the sheriffs dept after we picked her son up from the school and dhr handed him to us he suggested that we take him to Georiga and file for some kind of protection order on her and both kids that way if he did not get put in lockup dad could not come into georiga and take him but once the child crossed the state line he was fair game. Well dad ended up being in 72 hour lockup so that bought us some time until we could be sitting on dhr doorstep Monday morning. I didn't think it would look well on her to file for the protection order at the time unless dhr was not going to leave him in our care. Because the custody case is in Alabama I didn't want the judge to see it as she took him across state lines and filed this just to defy his order and not have to give the child back and it look bad on her and she end up losing him all together. We plan to try to contact the lawyer again first thing Monday morning and go to dhr in georiga and see what they can do. Im just trying to get different ideas of how we can keep him legally and not wind up screwing ourselves in the end and losing him all together!

Back