custody

quest

I have a 1yr old and 3 yr old nephews. Their parents went to prison. I got sole custody of my 3 yr old nephew and have had about 2 1/2 yrs. I was going to get custody of my other nephew, but the mother let my niece get him. They signed temporary custody papers and them notarized. Well the mother got out a couple of months ago, she has the 1 yr old now, she working and doing good. Family is helping her get back on her feet and she getting her own place and she has her own transportation. I know she will want the 3 yr old back, I just want to know what rights I have. I have basically had or taken care of him all of his life and I don't want to give him up. She hasn't seen him but a couple times since she been out.

If you have court ordered custody, she will have to go through the court system to get him back (to get custody transferred back). If it was just temporary custody papers she signed that were notarized for the 3 year old nephew, there may not be much you can do to keep him without getting a lawyer & going through the court system. You would need to prove why the Mother shouldn't have him back & you should have him. It seems the Mother is doing good - why keep the child from the Mother?

Back