consumer protection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdp3

I purchased a lot of furniture from Rhodes furniture in early July, paid by check (which has long since cleared) and was expecting delivery of my new furniture by Aug. 20th.
However, on Sat. 13th, I recieved a call from Rhodes furniture informing me they were going out of business and could not fill a part of my order, and if I still wanted the other part of my furniture.
Confused, I said to cancel, and was informed the corporate office would send me a check for the full amount. However, being concerned their going out of business was due to bankruptcy, (which Rhodes claimed wasn't the case, but in reality it is which I found out after I did some internet research), I decided today, Aug. 14th to go to the store, to claim the furniture they did have, and pick out something different to make up the part of the order that had not been filled.
I was promptly informed, that not only had they "sold" some of my furniture due to me canceling, (in less than a 24 hr. period and being the weekend??), I would need to write them another check to claim what I already paid for. When I asked why I needed to do this, I was told since the order was cancelled the night before, the corporate office in Atlanta, Ga. had already begun the process of my refund. Which they gave me absolutely no written confirmation!
So, here is my question, under consumer protection rights, wasn't I entitled to a copy of the cancellation, and since Rhodes has filed bankruptcy, and been bought out by Rooms to Go, will I get screwed out of my money? I have my reciepts, and was willing to take different furniture, but I will not pay them one more penny as they have a very large sum of it (my money),and I have nothing to show for it.
What should I do?
There is also no paper work stating I will recieve a check from the corporate office.
Your advice is appreciated.
mbp3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back