What do I have to do, to have custody of my niece?

ChrisJaws1007

My brother (21 yrs old) is in jail and his girlfriend ( I think 20 yrs old) is due April 20th 2015. Both my brother and her want me to raise the baby. What has to be done in order for this happen? She had mentioned that she would like to take the baby home till mid June. I don't know what to do and just want to be ready. I have 4 of my own children, and would have no problem financially providing for it.

Are you looking to adopt the child? Mom can let the child live with you and allow you to raise baby but that provides no security. She can change her mind at any time. If you want to adopt, I suggest meeting with a family law lawyer to draw up the paperwork and walk you through the process.

I don't want to scare her with legal documents, but I also don't want her to just drop the baby off at a police station if she chooses she cant deal with a baby. Is there any other way to approach
the situation?

If you want any official and legal rights to the child, you are going to have to use "legal documents". There are any number of possible ways to do this but all of them are going to require a lawyer and legal documents.

The fetus, which will soon become a child, might not be your brother's baby. You'll have to wait for the fetus to be born before a DNA test can prove if your brother is the baby's father. Until you know all the details, your best approach is to stay out of what the pregnant woman does. If the baby is being abused, contact the police, otherwise butt out, not in.

The OP can adopt the baby whether or not the brother is the father. Most people who adopt do not adopt biological relatives.

Back