grandma wanting 5 month old grsndbaby, she in foster care

Kalyanagrandma

Hello, I have a 5 month old beautiful grand daughter. My daughter never even brought her home from the hospital. She was placed in foster care from day one. Now I've had weekly visit with my grand child. I couldn't take her to start with because I wad stating with my daughter and needed to find housing. I have now found housing. I moved in with her to help her with her baby and keep her home together. Well now my question is. My daughter wants to sign custody over to me. Can she even do that if baby is in foster care? She still has her rights as of right now. I am one of the 3 People family services is considering for permanent placement. Will her signing rights over help us? Or is it completely out of her hands now? Any information would be great. I just want to bring my grand baby home to me.

Hello, I have a 5 month old beautiful grand daughter. My daughter never even brought her home from the hospital. She was placed in foster care from day one. Now I've had weekly visit with my grand child. I couldn't take her to start with because I wad stating with my daughter and needed to find housing. I have now found housing. I moved in with her to help her with her baby and keep her home together. Well now my question is. My daughter wants to sign custody over to me. Can she even do that if baby is in foster care? She still has her rights as of right now. I am one of the 3 People family services is considering for permanent placement. Will her signing rights over help us? Or is it completely out of her hands now? Any information would be great. I just want to bring my grand baby home to me.

Your daughter lacks the lawful ability to sign over custody (which is really guardianship) to you.
Why?
She has had her child taken from her, most likely because she abused drugs.
It really doesn't matter what she thinks or wants at this point.
The placement of the child will be determined by your state's child protection authorities and the court.

If you desire to have the child placed in yoru care, I suggest you speak with your state's child protection authorities.

You will also find the services of an attorney helpful in your pursuit of legal guardianship.

Be prepared to hear your state's child protection authorities tell you that your daughter isn't allowed to reside with you, if the child is place din your care.

You said you are one of three being considered for permanent placing. You will just have to wait & see what is decided. Your daughter doesn't get to decide. You can certainly talk to a lawyer & see what he/she thinks of your chances etc. & if he/she can help you in any way. I don't think what your daughter signs will really help you.

Back