Visitation issue

smuckers

Hello- I have a court order that states that the other party is to pick up our child (from the state I live in) and has told me they can't afford it and wants me to put our 13 yr old on a train or bus home. I'm not comfortable with it and either is our child. I can drive our child back but not till 2 days after the court order states our child is to be picked up. Am I obligated to send our child home alone??

Thanks

Hello- I have a court order that states that the other party is to pick up our child (from the state I live in) and has told me they can't afford it and wants me to put our 13 yr old on a train or bus home. I'm not comfortable with it and either is our child. I can drive our child back but not till 2 days after the court order states our child is to be picked up. Am I obligated to send our child home alone??

Thanks

Its your child.
If I were you, I'd make sure the other party obeyed the court order.
If the other party wants to see their child, they'll make the effort.
You aren't required to pay to send your child to see the other parent.
You really don't want a 13 year old traveling alone on a bus.
As far as Amtrak, its possible, but once you start down this path; there's no turning back.
If it were my call, I'd contact my attorney Monday.
If the child ever got to the other person's home, no telling what they'd encounter.
Safety first, but in this case, the deadbeat has been hoisted with his own petard.

Last edited:
I would investigate the routing to see if non stop and child oversight is available. Most passenger carriers offering the service are diligent and lack of transfers make it viable. A child with a cell phone is also helpful because you can call and make sure their carrier guide is diligent in making a transfer coordinate properly. Even if such a coordination does not make you comfortable due to multiple transfers, perhaps you can get a location much closer to meet the child. Co-parenting as a team is important in these issues.

If you do send the child by train or bus, is the other party willing/able to pay or pay part of the cost? As army judge noted, you aren't required to pay so that the other parent can see the child. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a 13 year old traveling alone particularly since they are also uncomfortable about it. (though as disagreeable noted, there is sometimes "child oversight" available)

Back