Can my mom be put in jail for never paying child support?

joico

After my parents divorced, my mom gave custody to my father. It was never a problem to pay child support between them, it was never forced. Now I am 17 and want to live with my mother. My dad is always threatening about child support that my mom didn't pay and says he will put her in jail if she tries to get custody of me. I just want to go to school where my mom lives and be there. I am afraid.

I want to live with my mother

My mother told me it was court ordered but then it was dissolved after he told the court that she did not see me and that she abandoned me (which was a lie.) In order to get out of it. What does this mean now?

I just want to go to school where my moms lives in another county. Does it matter who I live with?

Last edited:
If Dad agrees, you can go live with Mom.

If he doesn't, you're stuck until you reach the age of majority.

The child support issue is not an issue right now.

After my parents divorced, my mom gave custody to my father. It was never a problem to pay child support between them, it was never forced. Now I am 17 and want to live with my mother. My dad is always threatening about child support that my mom didn't pay and says he will put her in jail if she tries to get custody of me. I just want to go to school where my mom lives and be there. I am afraid.

I want to live with my mother

My mother told me it was court ordered but then it was dissolved after he told the court that she did not see me and that she abandoned me (which was a lie.) In order to get out of it. What does this mean now?

I just want to go to school where my moms lives in another county. Does it matter who I live with?

In a few short months, you'll be an adult in the eyes of the law.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/georgia-law/georgia-legal-ages-laws.html

The second you become an adult you can simply walk right out of Dad's home (and control), and run right into the loving arms of Mom.

Relax, your day is coming.

Back