can I get custody of my niece and nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.

teaser21

My sister moved out with her new baby daddy. My niece and nephew spend most of the time with me because they don't want to be with their mom. That say she never pays any attention to them and the new boyfriend yells at them and my sister doesn't do anything about it. When my sister was living with me I will see it a lot. They would ask my mom for food cuz she wouldn't get up and do it. When it comes to the kids needing clothing or school supplies it's either myself or my dad buying them. Because the money she gets from the state we don't know where it goes. But obviously not to the kids. What I do know the new boyfriend physically hurts his kids and I fear that he might do the same to my niece and nephew. Since my nephew is already telling us he's yelling at them already. My nephew is 7 and my niece is 6.

Don't start multiple threads asking the same question(s).
This is your only warning!

Your friendly MOD!

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister moved out with her new baby daddy. My niece and nephew spend most of the time with me because they don't want to be with their mom. That say she never pays any attention to them and the new boyfriend yells at them and my sister doesn't do anything about it. When my sister was living with me I will see it a lot. They would ask my mom for food cuz she wouldn't get up and do it. When it comes to the kids needing clothing or school supplies it's either myself or my dad buying them. Because the money she gets from the state we don't know where it goes. But obviously not to the kids. What I do know the new boyfriend physically hurts his kids and I fear that he might do the same to my niece and nephew. Since my nephew is already telling us he's yelling at them already. My nephew is 7 and my niece is 6.

If children are being harmed, don't worry about YOU getting custody.
When children are in danger, RIGHT THINKING adults call the police or child services.
The police will always respond, investigate, and see that the children are safe, fed, schooled, and receive medical care.
Once the children are safe, custody could be investigated.
That said, if mom is a loser, the logical (and legal) choice for the next best protector would be the BIO-DAD of those babies.
Good luck.

I'm going to give you a heads up.

If these children at actually at risk, and you haven't done anything about it, the court isn't exactly going to be thrilled with you.

Kids yell. Parents yell back. Neither equates to abuse. And if you try to trample on Mom's rights even a tiny bit, that's often called "custodial interference" and it can become a CRIMINAL matter.

]

If children are being harmed, don't worry about YOU getting custody.
When children are in danger, RIGHT THINKING adults call the police or child services.
The police will always respond, investigate, and see that the children are safe, fed, schooled, and receive medical care.
Once the children are safe, custody could be investigated.
That said, if mom is a loser, the logical (and legal) choice for the next best protector would be the BIO-DAD of those babies.
Good luck.

Psst. The police won't ensure those conditions are met. They can - on very rare occasions - remove the child from immediate danger but other than they're really sort of powerless.

My sister moved out with her new baby daddy. My niece and nephew spend most of the time with me because they don't want to be with their mom.
Since the children don't have that choice, I suspect that they spend time with you because their parents allow it. Or, maybe they don't care to parent much and they have found you to be a willing proxy for them.

That say she never pays any attention to them and the new boyfriend yells at them and my sister doesn't do anything about it.
Yelling at a kid is not necessarily abusive. By itself, this doesn't say that there is anything untoward occurring in the home.

When my sister was living with me I will see it a lot. They would ask my mom for food cuz she wouldn't get up and do it.
It's not necessarily a good thing to give kids food whenever they ask for it. When I was a child we had three meals a day, and the opportunity for a snack after school. No snacks in between or after dinner. Again, not a sign of abuse. Now, if mom wouldn't feed them ANYTHING, and there were no willing volunteers in the home to make the kids' meals, then you might have a claim for neglect. But, as it is, it seems they did get fed so neglect might be a hard case to make.

When it comes to the kids needing clothing or school supplies it's either myself or my dad buying them. Because the money she gets from the state we don't know where it goes. But obviously not to the kids.
Again, she's not having to pony up because she has willing people around her to fill int he holes she has left. So, no neglect because the kids are getting what they need.

What I do know the new boyfriend physically hurts his kids and I fear that he might do the same to my niece and nephew.
What do you mean that he "physically hurts the kids?" If he is assaulting or physically harming the kids, call CPS or the police ASAP!

Since my nephew is already telling us he's yelling at them already. My nephew is 7 and my niece is 6.
"Yelling" is not physical abuse.

The odds of you getting custody is slim to none. *IF* CPS gets involved and an investigation finds their situation to be unsafe, the kids could be removed while mom and dad get counseling. If that happens, you might be given a chance at temporary guardianship if you pass muster. But, there is a long road to travel down even to get there. And, adoption? That's much further down the road and would require more than I have heard here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back