Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Accused of shoplifting no evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

citycenter

A police officer just came to my door saying I am being accused of stealing a thousand dollar suit. What happened was I went to the store and bought almost a thousand dollars worth of clothes, but I did not steal the suit. I came to the store the day before and saw two suits I liked, I had them put on hold. I came back the next day with a bag full of other clothes and shoes so I could try it on with the suits. I didn't like the suit that I am being accused of stealing, so I put it back. But I bought the other suit and some other items.

The officer comes to the house and tells me the clerk said I stole the suit because no one else came before or after I left.

I also must add the I was accused of stealing items at another store in town, but that proved to be false. My bags were checked and I was cleared, but she filled out a police report anyway.

I don't know what to do with the incident with the suit. I didn't take anything. I must admit, the bag was a red flag. I should not have brought the bag in with me to the shop. I just wanted to try on the suit with some clothes I already had. After all, if I am going to spend a whole lot of money, I want to make sure it goes with things I already have.

Also, I have to admit that when I do go out, I look pretty disheveled. I work hard during the week so on my days off, I like to let my hair air dry and I don't wear very flattering clothes. I must look like a homeless person.

Lastly, I want to say I did not take the items.

My question is: if there is no evidence that I took the clothes, what can they do to press charges? The officer said that the owner of the store could still press charges. Is that true without having solid evidence that I took the items? If I don't have the suit, what can they do? How can I prove that I didn't steal it? Should I call the owner and tell her I didn't take it?

They can always press charges, but it is the district attorney who must decide if he wants to actually indict you and bring you to trial. He will rely on the results of the police investigation. If he has doubts that he can prove that you took the items, he will most probably not seek indictment but drop charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back