Post Termination of Parental Rights Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPJ66

In my divorce my ex-husband terminated his parental rights in order to escape child support. He has sent email every few years out of curiosity but has had no contact with my two daughters. Recently he asked permission to see them and I told him that it was unfair to just show up and leave. I have no interest in having him in our lives but understand that as teenagers the girls have questions and issues with identity which is why I am considering allowing him to do so. Realistically he is going to make a pest of himself when my girls turn 18 so I'd rather control it now while I have some control based on his termination of rights. I asked him to really think about how committed he was to doing this and to let me know exactly what he was looking for and what he was interested in doing for them. Rather than respond to me he has simply started contacting them online. When confronted he more or less told me too bad... you should be used to me doing what I want.

What is good course of action for me? Police? Attorney? Restraining Order? He is essentially a stranger to the girls having been absent for 12 years. He has made no (positive) emotional nor financial contributions to their lives. I simply dont want him forcing his way in and doing further damage.

Thank you,

Gina

I doubt very seriously the State allowed Dad to terminate his rights during any divorce. Now, you and he may have AGREED that he would not have visitation/you would not pursue child support, but Dad still has rights. In fact, if Dad decided to go to court and exercise those rights, you have no way of fighting it. The best you could do would be to convince the court to start with joint therapy sessions with the daughters. I would consider getting Daughters into therapy and you consulting a local attorney with your divorce paperwork in hand.

I have a legal document in hand terminating his rights that is recorded in my county. Speculation aside... lets make hypothetical if that helps.

If someone voluntarily Terminated their Parental Rights and then 12 years later forcibly inserts them-self into the lives of the children. How would one legally address such a situation.

You really do need to consult a local attorney. I don't think the paperwork registered in your county does what you think it does.

I have a legal document in hand terminating his rights that is recorded in my county. Speculation aside... lets make hypothetical if that helps.

If someone voluntarily Terminated their Parental Rights and then 12 years later forcibly inserts them-self into the lives of the children. How would one legally address such a situation.

You answered your own question in your first post.

A LEGAL STRANGER has no right to insert himself or herself into the lives of your children.
A STRANGER showing up, uninvited would warrant a call to the police to have them show the STRANGER to the street.

Before you proceed, take the paper to a local lawyer and ask that lawyer to explain it to you.
Why?
Just to make sure it IS what you believe it to be.

What my colleagues are trying to warn you about is that such a document rarely derives out of a garden variety divorce proceeding.

Agree that you need a lawyer. It is very possible the court system will get involved here.

As a parent, you get to decide who your children are allowed to associate with and who gets to spend time with them. I presume there was good reason not to allow contact 12 years ago. Either way, if you want him to meet the girls, there is nothing stopping you. If you do not want him to meet the girls, do not allow it. We can not tell you what is in their best interest. You were married to him and brought two children into the world with him, we did not.

As a purely practical matter, if you do allow a meeting, I would make sure to be present. That way you can intervene if the meeting goes south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back