Father needing help to protect my daughter from her mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otored

My daughter is 15 months old. I have had physical custody of her since June of 2014 in the state of Washington. Her mother lives in Indiana. I have been told by my daughters Aunt and Mother on the mothers side that her mother is with an abusive man who is using drugs and abusive to her mother. We have no legal custody issued by a court. Her mother is a convicted Felon and has 4 children by 4 different men. She has lost custody of her oldest. That child is with the mothers father. I'm concerned for my daughters safety around the mother and her boyfriend. I'm married have a stable career and my wife is a high scholl special education teacher with a Masters degree. My daughter barely knows her own mother and I don't even have any way to contact her because she has no phone and I don't know where she lives. With that said everything I've read say she can come take my daughter away and I can stop her. How should I proceed?

Were you ever married to this mother or was this child born of an affair/casual relationship? Has paternity ever been established for you if you were not married? Was the mother married to anyone (perhaps one of the other children's fathers) when she had this baby? How or why you ended up fathering a child with someone so unstable, with 4 other children to different men and who lives in another state leaves a lot of questions and those answers unfortunately for you, are going to impact your options with this child.

Elle, I was in a relationship with the woman. I'm originally from Ohio. We were living in upstate New York and I relocated to Washington for a career advancement. After approximately 3 months here she decided she wanted to go back to Ohio. I was supportive and paid for her to go back to Ohio, 2 weeks after she got back she found out she was pregnant. I was at the birth and I signed the Birth Certificate. She had a very checkered past but she had been on a good path for several years. Everyone makes mistakes and she had a rough life as a young adult due to family issues. She had been very stable for the first 6 months of my daughters life as well as through the entire pregnancy and the entire time we were in a relationship. She just seems to have reverted back to her childhood ways and is making very poor decisions. Her mother was married in the mid 2000's but had no children with her husband. My concern right now is establishing that she actually lives here. I cannot get ahold of her mother who has her birth certificate as well as SS card. I also believe she is getting welfare help from the State of Ohio while living in the state of Indiana for a child that lives with me in Washington. I believe that is fraud and I don't want to put my self in any legal trouble for this.

Elle, I was in a relationship with the woman. I'm originally from Ohio. We were living in upstate New York and I relocated to Washington for a career advancement. After approximately 3 months here she decided she wanted to go back to Ohio. I was supportive and paid for her to go back to Ohio, 2 weeks after she got back she found out she was pregnant. I was at the birth and I signed the Birth Certificate. She had a very checkered past but she had been on a good path for several years. Everyone makes mistakes and she had a rough life as a young adult due to family issues. She had been very stable for the first 6 months of my daughters life as well as through the entire pregnancy and the entire time we were in a relationship. She just seems to have reverted back to her childhood ways and is making very poor decisions. Her mother was married in the mid 2000's but had no children with her husband. My concern right now is establishing that she actually lives here. I cannot get ahold of her mother who has her birth certificate as well as SS card. I also believe she is getting welfare help from the State of Ohio while living in the state of Indiana for a child that lives with me in Washington. I believe that is fraud and I don't want to put my self in any legal trouble for this.

I suggest you have a paternity test done before you proceed too much further.
Sure, you signed the birth certificate, but what if you aren't the father?
That has many far reaching consequences.

If I were you, I'd consult an attorney in my county to help me sort through this legal morass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back