reducing child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

jccfjj

I recently had another child with my fiance.Both whom live with me. I am currently paying
$500 a month to my ex-wife for child support, however the children are with me more than what the court has ordered, and almost everytime they are with her, I find them at babysitters or daycare. What can I do to lower my support payments so I am not struggling to meet the needs of this new family and te needs of the children who are with me more anyway...

You would need to file a reduction based on the fact you have them more than the agreement states. your new children do not have any impact-generally support is not reduced for subsequent children. But if you do have them more, then you might get a reduction based on that. You might want to see about filing for 50/50 joint if the kids are never with mom, however, she can do whatever she wants with the kids on her time.

File a petition stating the fact that you have your children more than was agreed. Some states have Parenting Time credit.

In Michigan and Indiana, they allow for other children that came after as long as they live with you. They take off a certain percent of your income for other children. I don't know what state yours is in but you can check with your states child support guidelines.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back