Child Care Worker Harrassed by Parent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullers2001

I operate a preschool in NY State, and just terminated a family this past week because every time they came in, they came in looking for something to complain and berate my teachers about. Over the past month, for the two children we have sent home 5 accident reports - 3 scratches, one bite, one beesting (playground), etc. all written up according to procedure and all totally above board. But to this family, it was as if their children were being abused. They would yell and scream at my teachers, and belittle them in front of other parents and children. From one of their children alone, I sent home 5 accident reports in ONE WEEK of things he did to other children. But they didn't want to hear about any of their own children's aggression. Finally this past week I had enough of trying to please them, I terminated this family's enrollment and refunded their security deposit. Now, in retaliation they have contacted our State licensing representative who in turn visited us, investigated, and unsubstantiated their claims and found everything in perfect order. Then they called and asked for money to prevent them from calling Child Protective Services and reporting us for abuse. I did not give them money. CPS came in and also found nothing wrong. Now, they are calling our corporate headquarters and threatening to contact the local news unless they are refunded their money for the services we provided over the past month. Corporate has advised us not to refund the money.
Is there any case for harrassment, slander, defamation of character, etc.? Now any teacher who had any contact with these children have open CPS cases against them because in NY it can take up to 60 days to close a CPS case. I had a new teacher leave in tears today, just because she was unlucky enough to watch one of this family's children.
Does anyone know of anything that can be done to get this family to back off?

You might want to call the police or DA there may well be a case of blackmail or extortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back