Legal rights in WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

trbecca

I want to know what exactly are my rights according to the state of WI. I have physical placement of our 5 children. We have joint custody. My daughter turns 14 today. Last year, she wanted to go live with her dad for the school year. She did and was cutting like crazy and posting cutting and suicide pics on FB. She was very depressed. And, has been now telling others that she is "bi". I had people asking me and her close friend, that lives here, what was wrong with her. And if I was getting her help. Btw, she was seeing a counseller there. All we could say was that she had moved to her dads for the school year. She came back for this school year. She had her heart broken by a girl and a boy this summer... but, has now found a "girl" friend at her old school (middle school, she's now in 7th grade) of last year and wants to move back. Her dad is really pushing me for her to move back with him and his wife of a year and her daughter. I think she should finish out the year, at the very least. Dad says that if she moves back, it will be until she graduates. When she lived there, her dad was promissing her a car, 22 rifle ( which he shouldn't have cz of a lot of domestic violence with me), phone(which was taken off his service the day she moved back here), and other things. He let her drive their car, she was only 13!, and I'm sure you get the point.
So, I want to keep her here, even tho she wants to go cz she's "in love".... with a 12 year old. I need to know exactly what rights do I have in keeping her. She is clearly not mature or capable of making good decisions for herself. She's not very stable minded.
Thank you, Rebecca

If you hold primary custody, as in you are the custodial parent, your rights are supreme.
However, allowing one of your charges to live with the non-custodial parent for anything more than the custody order stipulates isn't wise.
You both obey the custody order.
That way, you aren't saying yes or no, you're obeying the order.
If one of you wants the order changed or a variance to be allowed, off to court you go to convince the judge why the order must be changed.
Be advised, the golden rule is, the order is only changed for the best interest of the child.
An example is if you developed a serious disease and were physically unable to parent while undergoing medical care.
A child who wants to live with Aunt Maudie, or dad, or the parents of the cool kid at school; that's not in the best interest of the child (or either parent)!

As a parent, most things kids ask about, demand, or desire you to provide: your answer should be no. That's why kids need parents to protect the little rascals (as well as society) from the illogical thoughts most kids possess.

Kids only do what their parents allow. If parents didn't set boundaries from age two forward, it's almost impossible to start setting those boundaries at age 10 or 12!

I suggest you do FOUR things:
Get the troubled child into therapy
Get you, the troubled child (and any siblings) into family therapy
Talk to a lawyer so that you better understand what YOUR custody order demands everyone to do
No matter what anyone asks or demands, always OBEY the order

(It makes your life so much easier.)

I do hope you have a custody order.
If you don't have one, you need one, like last summer, need one!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back