commonlaw divorce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzy29

I lived with a man for two years and called him my husband even though we were never legally married.We have two children together but because we were not legally married he was ordered to pay child support.Custody and support for the children has already been taken care of but I never got a divorce.I'm not sure that I need to since we never signed anything like a certificate.I'm with a man now and want to get married legally to him but I want to make sure whether or not I need to get a divorce from my ex.

What state are you in? Most states do not recognize common law marriages. If you did not legally marry that man, then you do not need a divorce. You are free to get married.

commonlaw marriage?

I live in Texas where commonlaw marriage is recognized but because custody of the children has already been decided and we never signed any kind of legal documents,I don't think I have to get a divorce.I was hoping someone here could tell me for sure.

Under Texas law, if it is established that a common law marriage exists, it can only be terminated by a legal divorce (or death and anulment).

Here is the law: http://www.aaml.org/common.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back