Character Reference Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0zz

I've been asked to write a character statement for a relative in an emergency custody visitation modification hearing. There is plenty of information I can provide against the other parent (mainly what the children have told me. Should I include that stuff or strictly remain on the subject of the character of my relative as a parent?

Either way, how is a statement like this structured to be most effective? Should it be notarized?

I've been asked to write a character statement for a relative in an emergency custody visitation modification hearing. There is plenty of information I can provide against the other parent (mainly what the children have told me. Should I include that stuff or strictly remain on the subject of the character of my relative as a parent?

Either way, how is a statement like this structured to be most effective? Should it be notarized?

In any character reference FOCUS solely on WHY the person you are endorsing deserves your recommendation.

Don't discuss anyone except the person you support.

Google "letters of recommendation", you'll be shown many examples and samples.

As to if it should be notarized, ask the person that you are endorsing about that.

Will you be available for cross-examination during the court hearing? If not, that paper is not worth the ink to print it out.

A letter that just bashes the other parent based on 2nd and 3rd hand accounts of children is worthless. Focus on why the relative would be a good parent, not why someone else might be a worse choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back