Visitation Rights with Assault Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

stargazzzer

I'm looking for some information about what can or is going to happen down the road. My situation is I'm pregnant by a man that I was with for about a year. It escalated into an abusive relationship during last few months. I did not go to the police until after I had moved all of my furniture out of our apartment and moved back in with my parents. The police and I agreed that it was not a good time to make an arrest, and the incidents had all occurred over a period of time in the past so it was difficult to press charges, but they did take a detailed statement from me describing everything he'd done to me and wrote a report that has menacing as the primary incident type and assault as the other incident type. I don't know why they didn't file it as domestic violence since I was pregnant during most of the assaults and they told me it was considered domestic violence. I plan on getting a protection order as soon as I can come up with the spare money for the fee. So my questions are regarding what will happen in a few months when the baby is born. He's told me he will fight to be able to see the child and his parents will help him with attorneys (ones that I definitely can't afford). I would be terrified to hand an infant to him. It scares me to even think about it. I work, I don't do drugs, drink, or smoke, I have some college under my belt, I was just naive and was manipulated into an awful situation that I'm now trying to fix as much as I can. Will the courts give him visitation? Custody? Is there anything I can do to keep him away from this child? Will the report taken help me? Sorry if this is a lot to read but it's a bit of a complicated situation and I'm not sure where to go from here. Any insight or advice would be very appreciated! I also want to add, because it was after I moved out I didn't have any physical marks on me, but when I realized I was going to have to leave the situation I started trying to document what was happening. This was hard because I was living with him so he regularly checked my phone and computer. I was able to hide in my email a video of him screaming at me and telling me if I left the apartment he would destroy everything I owned and one picture of finger shaped bruises on my face and neck. Also, we were never married. I don't know if these things could help me but I thought I would add them.

Last edited:
I'm looking for some information about what can or is going to happen down the road. My situation is I'm pregnant by a man that I was with for about a year. It escalated into an abusive relationship during last few months. I did not go to the police until after I had moved all of my furniture out of our apartment and moved back in with my parents. The police and I agreed that it was not a good time to make an arrest, and the incidents had all occurred over a period of time in the past so it was difficult to press charges, but they did take a detailed statement from me describing everything he'd done to me and wrote a report that has menacing as the primary incident type and assault as the other incident type. I don't know why they didn't file it as domestic violence since I was pregnant during most of the assaults and they told me it was considered domestic violence. I plan on getting a protection order as soon as I can come up with the spare money for the fee. So my questions are regarding what will happen in a few months when the baby is born. He's told me he will fight to be able to see the child and his parents will help him with attorneys (ones that I definitely can't afford). I would be terrified to hand an infant to him. It scares me to even think about it. I work, I don't do drugs, drink, or smoke, I have some college under my belt, I was just naive and was manipulated into an awful situation that I'm now trying to fix as much as I can. Will the courts give him visitation? Custody? Is there anything I can do to keep him away from this child? Will the report taken help me? Sorry if this is a lot to read but it's a bit of a complicated situation and I'm not sure where to go from here. Any insight or advice would be very appreciated! I also want to add, because it was after I moved out I didn't have any physical marks on me, but when I realized I was going to have to leave the situation I started trying to document what was happening. This was hard because I was living with him so he regularly checked my phone and computer. I was able to hide in my email a video of him screaming at me and telling me if I left the apartment he would destroy everything I owned and one picture of finger shaped bruises on my face and neck. Also, we were never married. I don't know if these things could help me but I thought I would add them.

Unwed fathers must go to court, establish paternity, and obtain court orders for visitation (overnights are months, if not years away), and the issue of support will also be addressed.

I suggest you get that order of protection ASAP, as in before the baby is born.
You've suffered enough and been abused too much to have your baby see him beating and thumping on you, mother.

The fees can be waived, especially if you're financially strapped.

The court will grant an emergency order the same day you file, and hold a hearing within seven to ten days to make the order permanent.

Money won't be an issue, just time, and filling out a few forms.

These websites talk you through it, for a more detailed set of instructions, Google (domestic violence order of protection YOUR COUNTY, Ohio).

Don't wait, mom, you've suffered enough, and you don't want that little bundle of joy to be harmed or without a mom.

Read this:

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/pu...on-order-remedies-and-procedures/qandact_view

http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=10020&state_code=OH

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3113.31

http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/JCS/domesticViolence/protection_forms/DVForms/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back