Indian citizen mother and custody of US citizen daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I am an Indian citizen married to my US citizen husband since 2010. I have a 2 year old baby girl who is a US citizen. There has been some friction in our marriage with my abusive husband who had threatened to take away my daughter from me and was asking me to leave the child with him and go away because I am unemployed and have been a been a stay at home mom taking care of my baby daughter. I also had some post-partum health issues and couldn't focus on career. Currently I am a Permanent Resident and am still living with my husband who is insisting that I take up US citizenship shortly. My worry is if my husband were to start divorce proceedings in the US and file for child custody rights, can I take my child back with me to India and file for child custody even though I take up US citizenship.
(a) Will being a US citizen make it complicated for me to leave the country with my daughter?
(b) Will the US courts have jurisdiction over the custodial rights of my child even if I were to move back to India as a US citizen?
Would appreciate a response. Thanks.

Hi,

I am an Indian citizen married to my US citizen husband since 2010. I have a 2 year old baby girl who is a US citizen. There has been some friction in our marriage with my abusive husband who had threatened to take away my daughter from me and was asking me to leave the child with him and go away because I am unemployed and have been a been a stay at home mom taking care of my baby daughter. I also had some post-partum health issues and couldn't focus on career. Currently I am a Permanent Resident and am still living with my husband who is insisting that I take up US citizenship shortly. My worry is if my husband were to start divorce proceedings in the US and file for child custody rights, can I take my child back with me to India and file for child custody even though I take up US citizenship.
(a) Will being a US citizen make it complicated for me to leave the country with my daughter?
(b) Will the US courts have jurisdiction over the custodial rights of my child even if I were to move back to India as a US citizen?
Would appreciate a response. Thanks.

A - Yes
B - Yes

It might be time to file for divorce.
Talk to a local divorce attorney.
There are ways your lawyer can be funded through assets in your marital estate - translation; he's working, he can be made to pay for your lawyer, and you can receive child support.

As he's being somewhat abusive, make sure and explain his abuse to the lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back