section 8 voucher question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, major depression, etc. I've lost everything I have and am now recovering. Now have a decent social security income and am now on Section 8. I'm a single man. Its just me on the voucher. I'm trying to get out of the bad neighborhoods and I found a place kind of in the country next to the suburbs. All they offer is 2 bedroom homes. My question is this: Am I allowed to rent a 2 bedroom unit if my income can pay it and I'm the only one living there? Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks.

If it is County owned, no. They rent according to family size and building designation. If it is a outside owner accepting section 8, it is up to him.

Hello. Recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, major depression, etc. I've lost everything I have and am now recovering. Now have a decent social security income and am now on Section 8. I'm a single man. Its just me on the voucher. I'm trying to get out of the bad neighborhoods and I found a place kind of in the country next to the suburbs. All they offer is 2 bedroom homes. My question is this: Am I allowed to rent a 2 bedroom unit if my income can pay it and I'm the only one living there? Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks.

You might want to take any questions about your program and voucher use to the program that issues your vouchers, or your caseworker.
That way, you avoid any mistakes and can follow their rules.

I have been on housing. I was told I get can always rent a bigger home/Apartment but housing only pays what voucher says anything larger I had to make up difference

Well thanks for the feedback, sir. I'm on housing now and I'm very fortunate to have worked long enough to get paid a decent return. The extra space will be nice to have and I just want to get away from Columbus. These neighborhoods are awful. I was carrying in groceries about a week ago when two drunk neighbors were arguing and one turned on me at random as I walked by. He kicked me in the stomach. I couldn't believe it. I walked away and pleaded with this 6f5in man to back off. He didn't and kept coming at me. He left me no choose but to defend myself. I ended up sending him to the hospital. Thank God I wasn't one of those helpless victims you read about in the news. I've only been on this program about 2 years now. I come from a nice suburb. It blows my mind what goes on inside these section 8 neighborhoods. I just asked my original question because I want to get out of here and be some place where I feel safer.

Just a quick update for the curious:

I've been advised by my housing authority that shrinkmqster was 100% correct. Long as my income allows, I can upgrade to a 2 bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back