providing insurance card

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am the custodial parent. I pay for medical insurance and 100% of uninsured medical costs. The court order stated that father will pay child support for xx amount and 50% of uninsured medical costs. Father has not paid child support and 0% of uninsured medical costs. Right now, he would like a copy of the insurance card. I don't feel that he is entitled to the benefits of the insurance card. I am also afraid that he is asking for the insurance card in order to send me the medical bills that the insurance does not cover. Am I legally obligated to provide to him the insurance card? At this time, there is no court order that is saying I will provide the father with the insurance card. Will there be repercussions later down the road for not providing him with the insurance card? For example, can he tell the court that he wants to be obligated for 0% of the uninsured medical costs since I have not provided him with the medical card?

He could say and do many things.
It's always better to compromise and negotiate than to keep returning to court and begging a judge to settle petty disputes.

The insurance card won't benefit him directly.
I see no reason he needs it, as long as its on file with the medical provider.
However, when in doubt read the order.
If its unclear, you know what must be done, if you can't agree.

You are required to follow the court order. If its unclear, you'll have to ask the court to clarify.

What "benefits" do you believe he will obtain by having the insurance card?

I don't right off see a problem with him having a copy of the ins. card - it's possible he could end up needing it for your child.

I think the poster is probably mistaking "having a card" for "having the insurance" and believes that if she allows him to have a card he will be able to use the card for himself and/or that she will become responsible for his bills.

If that is what she believes, she is wrong. While I can't say he absolutely won't try to present the card for his own bills, even if he does they will be denied when presented to the insurance company, and the poster does NOT automatically become responsible for them. Dad's bills - dad's responsibility. Besides, many insurance companies would be providing a card with the name of the child on it. Not the poster's name, and certainly not Dad's name.

It WOULD make things easier in the long run if Dad had a card for the child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back