Mother giving up parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

InceptionPoet

Hello, I live in Texas. My ex girlfriend is 6 months pregnant and doesnt want anything to do with our baby when she is born. She wants to give up all parental rights at birth at which time I will take our baby and raise her on my own. Which I want to do. What measures should I go ahead and take if any? What needs to be done?

She's 100% sure she doesnt want the baby and I am 100% sure that I do. What steps can we take right now to make this easy?

Any help at all would be great.

Thank you.

She cannot just give up her rights that easily. However you can certainly raise child and she can certainly remain out of child's life

As the alleged father of a chid born out of wedlock, you'll first have to establish paternity.
But, the baby won't arrive for 90 more days.
Many things can happen after the baby is born.
If I were you, i'd wait until a healthy, happy baby has arrived.
The state AG will help you establish paternity after baby is here.

Read this:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/ag_publications/txts/paternity.shtml

http://texaslawhelp.org/resource/establishing-paternity-start-here-1

In the meantime, just be supportive and wait.
Unwed fathers have no paternal rights until they go to court, after establishing paternity to settle child support issues, custody matters, and visitation.
What you're seeking involves a lengthy, complicated court proceeding.
Don't get your hopes up too high.
Remember, pregnant women have very high hormonal levels rushing through their bodies.
The arrival of a baby adds to the confusion some women suffer.
So, don't be pushy, do be supportive and loving.
Many things can happen before you become a real dad.

Last edited:
Thanks, she's seems at the moment and has been very adament that she doesnt want anything to do with the baby at all. She already has 5 kids from 3 different guys, is on welfare and lives with her parents, and that's no knock against her it's just a fact. But she's very adament that she wants nothing to do with the baby as soon as its born.

Im being as supportive as possible, offering to take her to doctors visits, pay for all expenses, even to pay for things beyond healthcare as far as healthy foods and what not for her. Not sure what else I can do right now besides worry about her taking care of herself and hoping she's no longer drinking and smoking and smoking pot.

I have an excellent stable job and am totally committed to this.

Thanks a million.

Thanks, she's seems at the moment and has been very adament that she doesnt want anything to do with the baby at all. She already has 5 kids from 3 different guys, is on welfare and lives with her parents, and that's no knock against her it's just a fact. But she's very adament that she wants nothing to do with the baby as soon as its born.

Im being as supportive as possible, offering to take her to doctors visits, pay for all expenses, even to pay for things beyond healthcare as far as healthy foods and what not for her. Not sure what else I can do right now besides worry about her taking care of herself and hoping she's no longer drinking and smoking and smoking pot.

I have an excellent stable job and am totally committed to this.

Thanks a million.

That's about all you can do at the moment.
I'd try to not get deeply invested emotionally, until the DNA test proves you're the father.
You might also speak with a lawyer.
Things can suddenly get complicated.
Courts are reluctant to snatch babies from mommies at 2 or 3 months old, so don't expect to accomplish everything within weeks.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back