Security deposit for Apt. (3 day money back guarantee), can't get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

odessit

I've been looking for apartment in Walnut Creek, CA (Contra Costa county), and found Archstone Apartments , in which they had 1 bdr apartment available. They told me that I will be able to move in a week from that day. I brought deposit ($100) for that apartment 4 days later, and inquired whether I still will be able to move in 3 days. They said that they have no units available, and leasing agent that I talked to is on vacation, and she must've didn't know
that all units are rented out. :confused:

I told them that I've already stoped my search for 4 days, etc. They said that they'll look to see if anything else might be available. They called me few hours later and told me that they'll have one unit available in 3 days (monday). Next day (Friday) I gave them my $100 deposit for that place, w/o seeing it, because they told me it's similar to what I've seen, but on diffirent level. Next day (Saturday) they called me and told me that it's rented out. I got pissed and said that I'll be back to get my deposit. They called me 45 min later and said that people who they rented it to, wasn't approved on credit, so its available to me! :eek:
So on Sunday I drive there, and sign lease for that apartment. Next day should be my move in day (Monday).

BUT, few hours later (Sunday) I pulled to another apartment complex, and quickly rented out unit for only 950/month vs 1350/month (at Archstone).

Next morning (Monday) I called and said that I found something better and don't want to move with them because of all this stupid crap, and asked for my deposit back. They said that it was more then 3 days since I've put a deposit, and they would not return it now. I told them that deposit was for diffirent apartment, and they are tottaly unorganized, unprofessional, and it was my favor to them that I've accepted another unit, and for this new unit my deposit was there for only 1 day (from evening before).

So... how can I make them return my deposit? Should I file with BBB?

well, legally it is you who must tread lightly now. You have signed a lease you don't want to honor. Legally that is a breach of contract and you could be made liable for damages. The moment you signed, you committed yourself. So if you threaten legal action you might be in for a surprise if they countersue you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back