harboring a runaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooch1994

My question is, If a minor of 15 years old is being abused at home can she leave and stay with a family friend for the remainder of her youth? She is my family friend I am 20 and I am a male I can provide a good home and she will finish school but my fear is some how I will be accused of statutory rape, there would be absolutely no sexual relationship between us, but her dad is not on her birth certificate and her mom is abusive, if she ran away and stayed with me, with her father's approval of course, what legal action do I have to make this 100 percent legal?

If you want to avoid serious consequences remove yourself from this situation! Why is she running to you and not Dad? Take her to her Father or tuen her over to Children's services. This will not end well for you!

My question is, If a minor of 15 years old is being abused at home can she leave and stay with a family friend for the remainder of her youth? She is my family friend I am 20 and I am a male I can provide a good home and she will finish school but my fear is some how I will be accused of statutory rape, there would be absolutely no sexual relationship between us, but her dad is not on her birth certificate and her mom is abusive, if she ran away and stayed with me, with her father's approval of course, what legal action do I have to make this 100 percent legal?

If you harbor a runaway, it will cause you deep and life long lasting grief.
If the child appears on your doorstep, don't let her inside your home.
Immediately call "911" and ask for the police to respond.

If you do much more than that, you could be branded with a stain that will never be washed away.

If she is being abused she should be speaking to law enforcement and social services.
Your interference could land you in jail.

Its interesting you bring up Rape yet you say there is no sexual relationship. Is there more to this than you posted? Just asking your answer or not doe snot change what any of us have already told you. This is NOT a good idea!!!

what legal action do I have to make this 100 percent legal?

You have one, and only one, legal option and it isn't the one you want to hear. You send her straight back where she came from and call the Child Protective Services. If she needs to be taken out of the home, they will do it, and you may rest assured she will not be placed with you.

I am 20 years old and in a serious relationship with an age appropriate women, the young lady who is 15 came to me asking for a place to stay if things went south with her parents I said I would be more then happy to help if I could legally do so due to the fact she is my sisters best friend and has been for several years like a little sister to me, her father is not on the birth certificate and the mother would have full custody if they were to divorce she does not wish to be hualed off by social services and would like to continue school in our home town, the reason I said I feared rape would be an issue is because it is a small town and people say things, now before you go accusing me of rape please read what I had previously stated "absolutely no sexual relationship!"

I did read that and fact you brought it up out of nowhere with no accusations set off a red flag for me. I am sorry if this upset you. Regardless it does not change any of our answers.

Even with the additional information you posted, this is not a good idea. You do not want to get involved in any way.

I said I would be more then happy to help if I could legally do

You can't.

If it's really as bad as all that, she won't care who takes her out or where she gets put as long as she gets out. If it's not so bad that she's willing for social services to be involved, then it's not bad enough for you to put yourself in serious legal jeopardy over it.

One more time, in case it's not clear: THERE IS NO LEGAL WAY YOU CAN ALLOW HER TO STAY WITH YOU UNLESS SHE HAS THE PERMISSION OF HER CUSTODIAL PARENT. And even if granted, that permission can be revoked at any time and if revoked, it is as is it were never granted.

if dad doesnt have legal custody he cant consent, only the one with legal custody can and i sure wouldnt consent to my daughter living with an adult non family member. and the op can file for custody because the cp's judgement would be very poor letting their minor daughter live with an unrelated adult male.

... and the op can file for custody because the cp's judgement would be very poor letting their minor daughter live with an unrelated adult male.

No.
The OP IS the unrelated adult male.
This is what social services it's for. No court on the planet would give custody/guardianship of a 15 year old female to a barely adult 20 year old male. It just isn't an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back